Chapter 56

Steve P

Steve P.O.V

After a few minutes of grovelling I feel fine and get up and carry Callie into the house, turns out nerf guns, or at least this particular one, aren't nearly as painful as the bow and arrow.

"Uncle, I show you blocks!" Callie whispers, wrapping the drawstrings of my sweater over my nose and ears.

"Stop that silly billy," I say, taking the strings and draping them over her face, she giggles, "I'd love to see your blocks baby."

She grins widely at me and as soon as we're in the house she wiggles free and starts to run up the stairs, but stops halfway up when she sees Thor sitting at the table, "Uncle Thor!" She screams and runs, launching herself into his belly.

"Is that my special girl?" He asks, scooping her up and she beams at him.

"All Uncles come?" She puts her arms up in question, looking around the room.

"No Pumpkin, Uncle and Auntie couldn't come." I tell her, and she nods thoughtfully. "I want to see your blocks baby!" I remind her and she gasps and hops off Thor's lap, running up the stairs on all fours like an animal.

"She's amazing at Lego, actually Tony, she's a genius." Laura says, coming into view, "hi Steve sweetheart, did my husband hurt you?" She asks, stepping forward to hug me. Her hug is warm and motherly and she smells like a mix of flowers and bread. My heart twist as I'm reminded of my own mother.

I hold on to her probably a second too long because she squeezes me and kisses my cheek before patting my back and releasing me. "Uh, no, not too bad." I grin at her, my face flushing in embarrassment.

"Callie hurt me worse than I hurt him," Clint calls, emerging from the bathroom with a tampon stuffed up his nose.

"Oh my gosh Clint!" Laura laughs. "You deserved it."

"It's the easiest way to mop up the blood!" He defends with a chuckle. "And yes, I did deserve it." He winks at me as I nod in agreement.

"It's not a nice way to wake up" I scowl.

"See? I may be a prick but I've never done that to you," Tony ruffles my hair as he brushes past me and sits down across from Thor at the table. "Come sit down buddy," he kicks out the chair beside him so I do. "And about my kid being a genius? Could you expect any less from my kid?" He grins cheekily.

"I've secretly wondered if she's Tony's love child," Thor chuckles and I laugh out loud.

Tony rubs my back making my laughter stop midway, "baby happy to see you?" He asks, under the sound of the other three chatting, continuing his massaging.

"Yeah," I nod, leaning back into his hands, his closeness is comforting and it reminds me of when he was helping me do crosswords at the table.

"I'm sorry for being a dick this morning," he whispers.