Chapter 38

Steve P

Steve P.O.V

We drove through a local coffee shop on our way to the playground and Thor ordered us both large americanos and, despite my warning that Tony would say it was too much sugar, a cookie for Callie. But in his defence, who could say no to the tiny voice from the back seat saying, "I like cookies Uncle," on repeat the second we joined the drivethru. After the third time not being acknowledged she says a little louder, "Uncle Thor I loooove cookies!"

He sighs, "okay baby, I'll get you a cookie." She claps her hands and says thank you and he smiles, then looks over at me guiltily. "How can you say no to that?"

"You can't." I reply, laughing hard, clapping a palm to his chest.

He hands her the cookie and she grabs his arm and kisses it before accepting her cookie.

"I hope you brought baby wipes, she's going to be a mess, " I tell him, lifting an eyebrow.

"I keep a package in the glove box, " he says, pressing the button in front of me, the box springs open and a pack of wipes tumbles out into my lap.

"Oh, look at you, so prepared now."

"Well, you're not the only one who takes his Uncle duties seriously," Thor scowls, "you may be the cute snuggly Uncle, but I am the fun Uncle, so I have baby wipes to hide our fun."

"Who says you're the fun Uncle?"

"Callie does," he says, winking an eye at Callie through the rearview mirror and she grins back lovingly.

"I don't mean you can't be fun... but she feels safe and sleepy with you, if she's upset she doesn't want me, she wants you, " he gives me a knowing glance and a warm happiness spreads across my chest.

We arrive at the playground and I slip my black ball cap on my head and throw on some sunglasses. I'd rather not be recognized if I can help it, though Thor tends to be a dead giveaway.

I grab the wipes and proceed to clean up the chocolaty mess coating Callie's face and hands, "okay, show me those sparkly clean fingers, " I say, stepping back. She wiggles her little fingers at me, grinning and scrunching her freckly nose. "Okay, come here little love bug, " I say releasing her clasps, she grabs onto my neck and squishes her face into my cheek.

I carry her to the park, Thor at our side, "a person would have to be blind to be fooled by that underwhelming getup you have on there, " he says, motioning to my hat and glasses.

"You'd be surprised," I shrug, pulling my cap out of Callie's grip and putting it back on my head, "though it's not nearly as effective when you're here, " I roll my eyes at him and he scoffs, flicking the brim of my hat.

We find a bench at the edge of the playground next to a table where two women are sitting and chatting. I sit down and place Callie between my legs. She grips the thigh of my jeans, her head twisting back and forth watching the half a dozen other kids climbing the park.