Chapter 32: Realization

--James' POV--

      I wake up when Kyle shuts the door to my office, and I feel Allison still in my lap. 

      She is breathing lightly, obviously sleeping as I had been. I have a pen in my right hand that is resting on the table, all of my papers have been moved closer to me, and I feel dried tears on my face. I was crying? Everything kind of feels off, I don't fully remember what happened after Dustin came into the room.

      "You doing alright man, Dustin didn't freak you out too much right?" asks Kyle sitting in the seat across from me on the other side of the desk.

      "I-I don't know what happened...I fell asleep?"

      "Yeah, Allison must've calmed you down a little too much. You seemed pretty hurt when he said some of that shit, but he's just trying to get into your head. It's what he's good at, just like Cadrick. Don't let it get to you. You have her to protect, I have my own girl to protect, we have a family now and we have to stay at the top of our game right now."

      "Yeah..." I say trailing off, actually taking in what he said.

      Every other time I've had to go after people or had to do anything like this I've had nothing to live for. If I died, it didn't matter. Macy and Jeremy would've been sad, and Kyle too, but it would've blown over eventually. Now, I have Allison. I have to stay here for her.

      She's also a new valuable person in my life that I know Andrew is going to use against me. It would be stupid if he didn't to be honest, and Andrew Cadrick is not stupid. He is evil and vile and an absolutely horrible person, but he is not stupid.

      "What should we do?" I ask Kyle having no ideas of my own.

      "Well, we know where he is. Why he never left his house is beyond me bu-"

      "He never left his house just so he can hurt Allison..." I say in realization, unpurposefully cutting off Kyle.

      She hates his house. She despises that place and he knows it. I know she has had nightmares about it and I'm sure he does too, "That's why he hasn't left. He can hurt her the most there, and that's his goal. To get her back so he can hurt her again."

      "I mean, that makes sense...it's just so dumb. What's his obsession with her anyways? What is it about her that makes him want her so badly?"

      "Have you met her? Everyone she has ever met since she's been here has liked her immediately, disregarding that bitch in the office. She has an effect on people that makes them happy. She makes people genuinely happy, and who wouldn't want that? Nobody compares to her...nobody ever will."

      "Man you're so in love with her it's not fair." Says Kyle laughing but being completely truthful.

      "How's it going with your girl...Catherine right?"

      "Yeah, she's amazing. She's always happy to see me...it's like she could be having the worst day ever and then bam she sees me and smiles. It works both ways though, I get so happy when I'm around her. I've never felt like this around anyone."

      Kyle and I don't come up with strategies. We don't talk about Andrew or Dustin or anything like that. For an hour we just talk. We talk about stuff that's been going wrong. Stuff that's been amazing. We just talk about anything and everything that has nothing to do with our current situation.

      Soon, however, we are brought back to reality when we hear the yawn of my amazing little girl. Allison lifts her head from my chest and the first thing her eyes go to is me. She smiles when she notices I'm happy and no longer crying.