[46]▫️FACTS▫️thomas + newt [part 2]

For: destinycopley13

Imagine...

Bumping into Thomas, Newt, and their friends once again while alone in the Scorch...

-

A plethora of curse words tumbles from your lips as you roll down the dune. You try your best to grip on to your bag. The last of your canned food is probably already crushed.

When you do finally come to a stop, you sit with crossed legs on the hot sand. You huff, brush as much sand from your hair and eyes as you can, and then swing your bag around to look inside.

Two unmarked cans are dented but not so damaged that they can't be open and eaten. Your water bottle is practically empty. You think you could probably get one, maybe two more gulps from it.

You open a zipper inside to find a key ring still there and not too battered. You had discovered it a few days ago, with a little heart, the word 'forever' engraved on it.

You had wondered if it was a gift to a best friend, sibling, maybe a partner?

Last item, an extra jacket. Blue and very thin, but handy enough as the nights out here were quite chilly.

You put everything back in, standing up and brushing more sand off of your jeans.

"No!" Your eyes go wide when you realise something is missing. "No, no, no."

Your notepad. With all of your little stories, recorded dreams, and most importantly, 'crank facts' inside.

You look out into the distance. If you squint, you're able to see the outlines of a big building. Then you look in the opposite direction, back the way you came.

You take a moment before deciding that water and food are the most important things right now. You mentally scold yourself for losing the notepad, then start walking in the direction of the building.

After only a few minutes, you hear multiple footsteps behind you. You turn around to see the same group you had bumped into only a few nights ago. You run a hand through your sweaty, messed up hair as they come closer to you. The first to reach you are two boys. You remember their names, picturing the moment one had saved the other that night. 'Thanks, Tommy.' The ginger had said to his friend.

"It's Tommy again. Great."

"It's just Thomas...actually," He stops before you. "We saw you fall. You okay?"

You scoff. "I'm fine."

The ginger-haired boy called Newt slaps Thomas's arm. "Give it to her."

"Right." Thomas unzips a pocket on his jacket. "Glad we saw you again.. you dropped this."

Thomas offers his hand, and your eyes widen. "My notepad!"

Newt smiles. "Thought it was important. Told Thomas he should pick it up for you."

Your eyes flicker up to Newts. "How would you know it's important? Did you read it!?"

"No, we didn't." Thomas answers.

Newt explains himself. "Just the way you reacted to having it back. Must be important."

You frown but decide to believe them- you aren't sure why.

"Okay. Well, yeah. These notes," you tap on it. "..have some crucial info on those freaks of nature cranks out there."

Thomas and Newt raise their brows, almost at the same time. You flip through the book, landing on a page where you had sketched a crank that you had put down. You show it to them.

"I've been out here a lot longer than you, bet your ass on that. I've written down everything I know about them. So far, at least."

You watch their surprised reactions, then put away the notepad and secure your bag on your back. "Well, I'm going to go now, idiots. Before any of you nearly get me killed again. Don't follow me."

Thomas quickly stops you with an apology. "Look, we're sorry about that. We were surprised by them. We thought the area was safe or at least safe enough to gather some things before we moved on--"

You interrupt his rambling. "Nowhere is safe out here, dumbass."

"Well.." Newt cuts in, "We had just escaped from WiCKeD. We were a bit out of place. You know?"

"WiCKeD!?"

Thomas and Newt glance at each other, then look back at you. "Yeah... you know them?"

"Of course!" You gulp. "You... you guys were... there?"

"Yeah, until the night we bumped into you."

Your eyes widen. "So, they're probably looking for you. Like, right now. Oh jeez. Oh, you guys need to get away from me. I have to- I have to go!"

You turn and start running as fast as you possibly can. You barely register the yells coming from behind you.

Don't let them find you.

Run.

Run.

Then suddenly, you trip, and you are on the ground. Your head lands hard on the earth, causing blood to drip down from your forehead. You stare up at the darkening sky.

The group follows and skid to a halt in front of you. Thomas and Newt kneel. One of them lifts your head and rests it on their knee, it's hard to tell which, but you vaguely hear Thomas say. "She'll be fine."

Newt's accent is the easiest to recognize out of all of them. He questions Thomas. "You sure?"

"Yeah. Just water if we have any, and a bit of sleep before we keep on. Do we have anything to wrap the head with?"

You reach up and grip both Thomas and Newt's arms with all the strength you can. "No sleep. No. Just.. you have to help me. They can't find me."

"Who can't? WiCKeD?"

"I- they want-"

"Want...want what?"

"Hey. You good?"

"She's passed out."

"Let's just carry her."

"Alright."

"Up, on one.. two... three!"

"Let's go."

"When she wakes up, will someone please ask her name!?"

-

Final edit: 7.11.20