[23]▫️THE FIRST BOY▫️aris▫️[part 3]

Imagine...

Reuniting with Aris in the Scorch...

You gasp as you see him. He stares at you, standing between two taller boys, completely taken aback. "Y/N!"

"Aris!"

"Y/N? H-how?"

"Just come here!" You open your arms. Aris pushes through the boys, wrapping you in a hug. You cradle the back of his head, holding him as close as possible and planting a kiss on his cheek as you break away, one hand moving to cup his jaw. "I can't believe it."

"Me either. And you look so different."

You glance down at yourself. Your hair is braided on one side, and it's cut slightly shorter. You wear bottoms that have mismatched colour patches sewn into them. A scarf sits tightly, but not too much so, around your neck. "Not really. Just dirtier clothes."

Aris chuckles lightly, his eyes flickering up and down your form. You could almost swear that you catch him blushing. "Can we- uh.."

"Yeah, let's go catch up."

--

"Comfy enough spot right here, I think." You sit together in front of a fire. "So, who are the other guys?"

"Uh, there's Frypan, Newt, the girl is called Teresa, and then there's Thomas." You rub your hands together, warming them up. "Thomas was the one who I talked to about not trusting that place. I told him about you and how you just... disappeared after they called your name. Then... he helped me get out."

"Oh, so I suppose I should thank this Tommy for that later then."

Aris looks up. "Why?"

"Why? We might have never seen each other again if he didn't help you. And I missed you, A."

"I missed you too. How'd you get out anyway?"

You chuckle, remembering. "There was a guard there who wasn't really a guard. She actually pulled a damn knife out and cut me... to buy us some time, and then we ran for it. She was a member of the Right Arm. They have groups who go in and try to get kids out... every now and then."

You pull up your sleeve, revealing a few jagged, raised scars. "Harriet left some ugly ass marks. I would be mad about it, but she saved my life, so."

Aris lightly touches one of the scars and then traces it with his fingertips. He moves up and up until his hand sits atop yours. You squeeze it, holding his hand. "I'm sorry I didn't come back to you. We.. we didn't have time. I wanted to, though. I kept asking, but it got too dangerous."

"That's okay, as long as you were safe. Thomas and his group helped me. It was a long journey, but we got here eventually."

"I had no doubt that you could make it out... through the Scorch and..." Your voice lowers on the next words, "back to me."

Aris smiles shyly. "I don't know. I had a lot of help-."

"No." You interrupt him. "I always knew you were tough. Right from when you ran out of the med-hut that day."

Aris turns shy, looking at his feet. "It kept me going. Thinking about the possibility that you could've gotten out. Or that if you didn't... I needed to as a way of thanks for everything you've done for me."

"A... I..."

"What?" He looks up again, and when your gazes meet, you can see the reflection of the fire in his kind eyes. He walks his hand over to yours, which lies flat against the ground and covers it, instantly making you feel warm and fuzzy inside. "Y/N, what?"

"I just, um- I think..."

"What?"

You sigh loudly. You are never the type to be at a loss for words. So instead, you dive into action, pushing yourself onto your knees and taking Aris's face into your hands. You pause an inch away and feel him nod as his eyes flutter closed. The next thing you know, your lips are against his, delicate and sweet. "That..." You mutter when you pull away, cheeks hot.

"Oh." Aris says, "well... that was nice. Thank you."

"Yeah. Uh..." You nod before you both burst into a fit of laughter. Eventually, you both close the gap once again. You sink into each other's embrace before falling asleep in front of the crackling fire.

-

Final edit: 30.10.20