[18]▫️BUDDY▫️chuck

Imagine...

Chuck trying to befriend when he sees that you are lonely...

Chuck sits down on the tree branch next to you. He's holding something you can't see in one hand and a small blade in the other. "Hello."

"Hey, Chuck."

He nudges you with his shoulder. "How come you're sitting here on your own?"

"Don't much feel like a party right now, buddy."

Both of you look over at the other Gladers: they all surround a bonfire while Gally hands out his special recipe drink. It gets passed around from Frypan to Jeff, to Newt. Then, to one of the younglings who barely takes a sip before coughing and doubling over.

Chuck laughs beside you. Then he settles and replies to your answer. "I don't think that's it, though. You're always sitting alone."

You look down at Chuck. "I just-" You sigh. "How can they party.. with everything we have to deal with. Don't you want to get out of here?"

"Someday. But we're stuck here, for now, may as well join in, and get to know some people, build trust."

"Hm."

You look down at your hands, picking at the skin under your nails. Then, Chuck reaches a hand over and puts something on your knee. "Made this for you."

"For.. me?" Your eyes widen a little. You take the small piece of wood and hold it up in one hand.

It's a carving of two people. One is tall, with long hair, and the other slightly smaller. The taller one's arm reaches down to the second person's. The hands are joined, and they seem to be smiling as they look at each other. "Wow. Chuck. Thank you. This is amazing."

"It's you... And your mum... But I'm sorry if that's.. upsetting or, or anything."

"No. No, it's beautiful."

Chuck smiles. "I made one for myself too. To give to my family if we get out of here and find them." He looks down at the grass.

"Chuck. Thank you so much." You get up and stand in front of your friend. You open your arms, and he laughs. He wraps his arms around your shoulders, squeezing.

When you pull apart, you pat him on the shoulder. "Hey. How about we go and join the party after all? I hear Frypan is cooking up pork tonight."

-

Final edit: 28.10.20