[41]▫️SPIRIT▫️newt

Imagine...

Struggling after the loss of Newt...

You sit on the top of the hill, gazing up at the night sky

You sit on the top of the hill, gazing up at the night sky. Stars twinkle as your eyes pass over them, then close for a minute or so. You imagine that Newt could be one of those stars. He could be looking down on you, shining a light on you. The thought calms you for a moment at least, before a tear interferes. You wipe it away quickly; your eyes are already sore from the pain you've felt since Newt passed.

You open your eyes again and look down on Safe Haven. Most of your friends and fellow survivors seem to have gone to sleep. There is a small group of teenagers sitting on the sand: a fire lit between them.

Then you look up again. As you do, something catches your eye. A glowing white figure is standing above you. You jump, shuffling back a little. The silhouette comes closer, and as it does, the brightness fades.

Your mouth falls open when the figure sits down next to you. "Newt?"

Newt nods, a small smile on his face. "Yeah."

"You-you're here. How?"

Newt leans over slightly. "I'm not entirely sure."

Your eyes widen. "What do you mean? Are you a.. ghost? Am I going crazy?"

"You know, love, I don't think I'm here to answer questions. And I don't have the answers anyway."

"But- can.. can I.." You reach out with your right hand. Newt seems to understand what you are asking, lifting his hand. Your hands slowly get closer and closer. You sigh when you don't feel anything. Newt's hand floats there, while yours goes right through it.

"So.. no then."

"I'm sorry."

Newt eyes hold apologies and concern, and so much love. You look into them. "I miss you."

"I know."

"You do?"

Newt nods. "And I miss you too."

You look down at your hands, folded into your lap now. "It's so unfair. Why you? It should have been-"

"Don't say it. If it had been you, our roles would be the same. Only I'd be in pain, and you'd be gone instead."

"I just.." You look up at Newt again. Tears slip down your cheeks. "I don't think I can live here.. without you."

"You can. You'll be okay. So many people here care about you, love. You'll be fine. And you will be happy again." Newt glances down at Safe Haven. "I wish I could be here with you, in the flesh, but I am still in here."

Newt points to the left side of your chest, where your heart beats underneath. He suddenly stands. The light starts to become bright again. His features slowly fade away.

"And I'll be watching over you, always." As he steps back, the light becomes brighter and brighter before fading away.

You stand up, looking helplessly into the darkness. "Newt? Newt.."

Tingles run down your spine when a voice whispers in your ear. "I love you."

More tears spring to your eyes as you reach into your pocket and take out the necklace Newt had made for you back in the Maze. It's put together with a simple piece of string. A small, wood carved star hangs from it.

You clutch it against your chest and then look back up at the stars. As you watch them twinkling, you let yourself smile while whispering, "I love you too."

-

Final edit: 3.11.20