Forty-One

Kaia's POV

"What are you doing here?" was the second thing I said to dad, while he stood in front of me, with the smile that always brought me comfort.

"How have you been?" he asked, ignoring my question.

I observed my surroundings. I don't know why. I just did. I wanted to know if anyone else was here. Whether anyone else knew that dad was here. I don't know what I was expecting – that people would jump out from the corner and yell 'surprise' as though they planned this all along for me. But dad was the last person I was expecting today, or even for a long time.

"Uh... good," I answered awkwardly. "How about you?"

He nodded. "I'm good."

He looked behind me at the school. Something flickered in his eyes and I knew exactly what he was thinking. Dad was never a hard man to read when it came to his emotions. He wasn't really good at hiding them no matter how hard he tried. And from dad's expression, I knew he was wondering whether he should see Kieran.

"Do you want me to call Kieran?" I asked.

There was no point really. Even if I called Kieran, he wouldn't want to see dad. I don't know why Kieran is so angry at Dad. He would never really tell me, and I never questioned it. Mum and dad just never worked out and I guess Kieran blames dad. Maybe because mum gave up everything in America to move to Australia to be with him. That they divorced and now mum gone back with nothing.

I should probably hate him too. But I don't know why I don't. He's my dad. How could I hate him? And for what reason?

"No, that's okay," dad smiled sadly. "Do you want to go get ice cream?"

"I'm not six anymore, dad," I said.

He nodded defeatedly.

"Let's go," I smiled.

Dad looked at me and smiled. We get into his car and he started driving. I didn't even text Kieran that I was going to get ice cream with dad. Even though I know that Kieran wouldn't want to see him right now, I felt like Kieran would be hurt if I told him dad took me and not him. I don't want him to think that dad doesn't want to see him, even though dad told me not to call him.

The drive wasn't very long. But it helped. I wanted Cade out of my mind and the fact that dad was right here beside me was a good distraction. All I thought about was why is dad here? Why didn't dad tell us he was coming? I was scared something serious happened. I was even scared that something happened to mum. I was so preoccupied with everything about Cade and Aunt Meredith, that I was scared I completely looked over Kieran and mum.

"So, how's life back home?" I asked, completely overlooking the fact I still called Australia home.

"Good. Got a new job – Lance is doing great."

Lance was our dog. Lance wasn't really my dog, it was more of Kieran's. It just happened to give me attention every once in a while, when Kieran wasn't outside with him.

"That's good."

It was so awkward. It never used to be this awkward with dad and me. Even if we weren't saying anything, it was a comfortable silence. But now, everything is different. And I can't help but wonder what the cause of it was.

"How's school?"

"Yeah, good. Vivian is being her usual self but we're getting along. Some of the people at school is nice, so I'm not minding it at all," I lied.

Yes, most of the people at school are nice. Vivian and I are growing on each other, to the point I don't call her Regina anymore. But doesn't mean I don't mind it. After everything that happened, I felt stupid and I regret everything. I wish I could start it all over again and avoid Cade like the plague.