Twenty-Seven

Kaia's POV - Sixty-Two more days

I awkwardly sit beside Vivian, the silence in the room is strong. I keep my hands and feet to myself, attempting to take less space as possible. Vivian would frequently look at me as though she continues to disbelieve that I'm here. Ben's mother returns, "I'm sorry dear, I just have to quickly organise the dining table," she informs. "Why don't you two go wash up?" she suggests.

I nod whereas Vivian jumps up, agreeing with the thought. "I'll show Kaia the bathroom," she says, grabbing my arm and leading me towards the furthest room from the lounge room on the bottom level. She shuts the door behind us and locks it, "What are you doing here?" she asks immediately.

I smile, guiltily. "Ben invited me," I reply, avoiding eye contact.

"Why didn't you tell me earlier that you were coming?" she asks.

"Was a last minute thing?"

"Is that why you kept asking me where I was going? Did you want to be here?" she accuses.

I laugh, "Why would I want to be here?"

"Then why are you here?"

"No reason, I was just bored," I lie.

Vivian arches an eyebrow, catching my lie. "Did you overhear Ashton and I speaking?" she asks.

I take a deep breath and tell her everything. "Okay, yes. I did. I overheard your conversation with Ashton earlier this week – I thought that if I came, you would be okay. I don't like Ashton and would very much like you two to break up but then Ben told me that Ashton would humiliate you if you did break up so I came here to make sure you're fine," I say as fast as I could.

Vivian laughs, "Right, okay. Now tell me the truth," she demands.

"That is the truth!" I reply.

"You've got to be kidding! I didn't invite you for a reason, you idiot."

"Why?" I ask, curious.

"Because Ashton is threatening me and I don't like being threatened or being told what to do?" she responds bravely.

"Really?" I smile.

I don't know why I'm so relieved to hear that. I always pictured Vivian as the strong woman who is capable of protecting herself. When I had the slightest thought that she couldn't, I panicked. I don't know why. I don't really like Vivian that much to go over the moon for, but for some reason, I don't like the idea of her to getting hurt. Maybe cause she's my family, I don't know. But I can't stand the thought that she went through so much pain when I could've done something to prevent it.

"Of course, I'm Vivian Barbra Harper," she says with pride.

"Your middle name is Barbra?" I squint.

Vivian immediately regrets it. She clears her throat, "You can't tell anyone!" She warns. "You need to leave now!" she demands.

"Okay! How do I do that?" I ask. I never wanted to be here in the first place. I don't think I can manage another minute with Ben and Ashton. They both make my skin itch.

"Just say that you forgot you have some appointment," she suggests.

"An appointment for what?"

"Does it matter?"

"Of course, it matters. What if they ask and I panic and say the most unbelievable thing in the world? I am capable of doing that you know, just because I'm a Mercer doesn't mean I can lie through my teeth," I inform.