Twenty-Five

Kaia's POV – Sixty-three more days

I stop at the entrance of class for English. I observe the room, earning a frown from Kieran and Vi awkwardly waving at me. But my attention is all on Vivian who sits in the centre of the room. As usual, she is at her attention spot. It's been about four days and she still hasn't asked me whether I would go to Ashton's dinner party this weekend. I have been purposely speaking to Vivian throughout the week, waiting patiently for her to ask me a question. But she doesn't. I start to wonder why she doesn't want to invite me when she cares about Ashton's approval so much.

I take a deep breath knowing what I'm going to do now is stupid. This is it, I'm going into dangerous territory. Each step I take, I feel like there is an explosion going off inside me. It's as though I'm walking to my death. I take another step and I arrived at my destination. There is no going back now. I'm trapped in this torturous situation and I have no choice but to smile. I force a smile as Vivian leaves her back facing me. Rude.

"Um, what are you doing?" I hear as I pull the chair out beside Vivian to take a seat. I look up and see one of Vivian's favourite minions, Rebecca. Crap, I forgot about the piranha. I stand up straight and clear my throat, ready for my non-existent well-thought out plan.

"I'm taking a seat."

"That's my seat. Go sit next to your brother," she scoffs.

I turn to see Kieran scowling at me as if he knows exactly what I'm going to do next. I grin mischievously and turn back to face Kieran. Thanks for the idea Kieran. "To tell you the truth," I bring my voice down low into a whisper. "Kieran is making me sit here so you'd sit next to him," I tell her.

She frowns, "What?" I nod in confirmation. "I thought he was gay."

I shake my head, "He was never gay. He only said that so he'd get some girls off his back. But now, since he has a girl he's interested in, he doesn't want people to think he's gay."

"Oh, really?" Rebecca supresses a smile. How could she be so dull to fall for that? "So, he wants me to sit next to him? What about Vivian?" Who cares about Vivian? Is she your kid or something that you have to make sure you supervise her every second of the day? Go away already.

"Don't worry about it, I need to speak to Vivian anyways. I'll tell her I sent you here," I reassure her.

She shyly smiles, "Okay then." She walks pass me and towards Kieran. I look at the two of them and see Kieran sending daggers as Rebecca shyly sits beside Kieran. Rebecca says hello which Kieran responds with a nod. I need to teach him English; his speaking skills is worse than a two year old.

I sit down beside Vivian whom yet to even realise I'm sitting beside her. "What are you doing here?" Vivian asks. I spoke too soon.

I smile at Vivian, "Rebecca wanted to sit next to Kieran," I lie.

"Ew, why?" Vivian asks.

I shrug, "She lost it," I state.

How did Vivian not overhear our small little conversation just a second ago? Honestly, me lying to everyone is such a terrible habit. This is what happens when I attend the same school as Kieran. Jerk.

The teacher walks in and the class falls into silence. The teacher begins the class by discussing the required reading and the persuasive essay we must write. After discussing what the task sheet is about, she makes us go into groups of three to discuss the main themes of the book and present it in class. Vivian immediately starts talking about the type of make-up she wants to buy. The fact we're not properly doing the group work itches my need to study. But this time, I have another mission. The Great Gatsby can wait.