Twenty-Three

Cade's P.O.V.

I let the five pages of paper fall on Kieran's table, with a soft slap echoing across the room. "What's this?" Kieran questions.

"Our assignment," I respond.

"What?"

"Our history assignment that's due today," I clarify.

"You did it? All alone? Why?"

"Someone had to do it," I respond. I take my seat beside Kieran, ensuring the two seats beside me are empty for Kaia and Vi. I'll admit, Kaia has gotten me to do things I barely even like doing. She got me to publicly announce my feelings for Kaia in the cafeteria, I kissed her, I'm officially dating her and she even got me to do my assignment. I watch Kieran stare at the cover before placing the assignment on the table. "Memorise your speech," I order.

"Why?"

"Cause that's what your sister would've wanted," I say.

"Of all people, you had to date my sister," Kieran mutters with annoyance. He skims through the assignment with the irritated expression plastered on his face.

Kaia enters the room with Vi. I smile as she takes her seat at the usual place beside me. She doesn't look at me. She doesn't even acknowledge me. My smile disappears into a glare as I stare at the back of her head, hoping she'd feel my stare. But she doesn't.

I cough, "Kaia," I whisper. She ignores. "Kaia," I repeat. She ignores again. I lean in closer, pulling my chair closer. "Kaia," I whisper again.

"Shut up," she responds.

I frown. "Leave her alone Cade. She's always like this when an assignment is due soon," Kieran informs me. I ignore him. I pull my chair closer to Kaia so I can wrap my arms around her from behind. I could feel her body tense and she aggressively elbows me in the stomach. I release her, holding onto my stomach as though I'm holding my guts from spilling out from belly button. "I told you," Kieran mutters.

I glare at Kieran as I move away from Kaia, scared to get hurt. "You didn't tell me I'd be getting all my organs rearranged in my body," I say.

"No, I just told you to leave her alone, which you didn't."

The teacher enters the room and we immediately start with the presentation, starting from the group at the front. I yawned, stretched and fell asleep practically throughout the whole class time. The moment I hear my name echoing in my thoughts, I wake up to find Mr Reid patiently looking at us.

Kaia just took a seat. Did I just sleep over Kaia's presentation? She looks at me with disappointment as she organizes her speech together. I turn my attention back to Mr Reid. "Well, Mr Pearson – do we have to speak after class regarding your non-existent presentation?" he asks.

"My what?" I frown.

"Did you or did you not do your assignment?" he asks.

I look at Kieran who's also sleeping. "No sir, I have it here," I hold up my copy of the assignment to show Mr Reid. Mr Reid nods and takes a seat.

"Whenever you're ready," he says. I roughly nudge Kieran on the shoulder causing him to wake up. As Kieran gathers his thoughts, some kid walks into the class. "Mr Reid, Kaia Mercer is called to see the principal," he says.

Mr Reid nods, "Alright. Kaia, you should take your things with you," Mr Reid tells Kaia. Kaia nods, looking confused. The classroom was silent, including me. None of us knew or could begin to think why Kaia would be called to the Principal's office. I just realised, she wouldn't even get to see my assignment.