Six

Kaia's P.O.V.

Aunt Meredith pulls out another dress from the rack, "What do you think about this one, Kaia?" she asks. I examine the red dress. By looking at it, I already can tell that it's a skin tight dress that would reach just past my butt.

"No thanks," I say, shaking my head.

Aunt Meredith huffs and puts the dress back. "Look around Kaia and see if there is any dress that you like," she says. I don't even want a dress.

"Aunt Mer, I don't need a dress. I'm perfectly fine with my wardrobe," I tell her.

"Don't be ridiculous. A woman's wardrobe must always have some style and beauty," she says. Is she commenting on my clothes or the way I use my wardrobe? I sigh and stand up from my seat. If I don't find a dress that I would approve of, we'd be here every day.

"Mom, what do you think of this dress?" Vivian comes out of the changing room wearing, of course, the same skin tight red dress Aunt Meredith showed me earlier. I look at Vivian and the dress did stop right beneath her butt. The dress is strapless and in my opinion, it looks like a dress that has just be wrapped around her like they do with mummies.

"Oh sweetie, that's so beautiful on you."

I pull out an ankle length dress and show Aunt Mere, "How about this dress?" I ask.

"Oh, honey, that dress is not appropriate for a restaurant dinner," she says. I look at what Vivian is wearing back to what I'm holding. How this one not appropriate for a restaurant dinner and Vivian's one is?

Uh, okay. I pull out a dark navy blue dress from the rack and lean it against my body to see how long the dress is. It reaches just past my knees. "Aunt Mere, how about this dress?" I show her the dress. It's sleeveless with a not to low neckline, with some soft material.

Aunt Mere takes the dress from me and examine the dress, "It's pretty," she says. "Go try it on."

I look down at the dress, feeling annoyed. I don't want to. But instead of arguing back, I go into the changing room and change into the dress.

After taking off my shirt, I look at the dress and unzip the back. Do I wear it from feet up or do I put it over my head like regular shirts? I took the dress and put it on over my head. I zip my back to midway of my back, unable to zip it higher. Ah great. I pull in my arms from the sleeves and twist the dress around. I zip up the dress all the way before turning the dress around again, finding it harder than I thought it would be. I hope I don't rip the dress.

Finally getting it on right, I move out of the changing room and look at myself in the mirror. I still have my black skinny jeans on, so I reluctantly take them off. My bare legs touch the coldness of the air and I instantly regret taking them off.

"Kaia, are you done?" I hear Aunt Mere call out. I feel annoyed. I walk out of the changing rooms and show Aunt Meredith. "Oh look at you," she says, with excitement. I smile, twirling for her a little bit. I feel like a little kid again, trying to put on princess dress. Except, this time I'm wearing a dress that is up to my knees. "You look like a lady."

"Aunt Mere, I always looked like a lady. I just look like a classy one now," I say jokingly.

"And it's very appropriate for a restaurant," she adds.

I look back at Vivian as she takes selfies with her dress. "Aunt Mere, I may not be an expert in dresses but is what Vivian wearing appropriate for a restaurant dinner?" I ask.

Aunt Meredith laughs, "Oh no, honey. Vivian is picking out a dress for a party whereas you're picking out a dress for a date," she states.

"Oh right," I say. Makes sense. Wait... "A date?" my eyes widen.