Thirty-Three

Cade's POV – Fifty more Days

I only know the outcome isn't going to be in my favor. Give my history and my reputation, the disciplinary board are going to take that all into consideration. I sit in the office and I feel my heart syncing with the tick of the clock. It was slow, dreadfully slow. I look at the meeting room – the windows are closed and I could only see light coming from one side of the room.

They're watching the security clips. I hope they won't punish me for something I didn't even do intentionally. I look at Mike who sits on the other side of the room as though he has no worries. The video shows him provoking me, he should be only but worried. He looks at me and grins. "Don't think your daddy will save you now, Pearson," Mike says.

I roll my eyes and look away. Then there he goes again. I look at the receptionist hoping she would do something to stop him but she's on the phone. I push my hair back and lean into the chair as I try to block Mike out.

"I wonder what Kaia thought about all this – does she even think you're innocent?" he asks. I ignore. "I doubt it – she knows more than anyone that you're only out there to make fun everyone. She probably found out that the only reason why you're dating her is because of a game."

I clench my fists. Why won't he just shut up? But he is telling the truth, and I did hate hearing the truth. But Mike continues to talk, continues to try and provoke me. What is he hoping? Does he want another fight? I wish I could punch his smug face but I can't. The disciplinary board is in the room next door with my dad and his dad. I need to just suck it up.

"Why aren't you saying anything? Is it because it's true?" he laughs.

"Sir, could you please remain quiet?" the receptionist finally asks upon ending the call.

Mike smirks, "Sure," he says before turning his attention to me. I ignore him again. I can't let him get through my head. Why is he so persistent to get me angry and riled up? What is he trying to achieve?

The door opens and I immediately stand up. Principal Howard is at the door, looking at the two of us. His expression is unreadable – it's as though he was disappointed or he looked guilty. I couldn't tell which one it was and it was making me go crazy.

"Both of you, come in," he orders.

We oblige. We enter the room and stand near the front of the meeting room. The room consists of seven people. Excluding my dad and Mike's dad, there was five people on the disciplinary board. One of them was the parent representor, the superintendent, the principal and two other people I don't recognise.

"Thank you, Cade and Mike," Superintendent Puck says. "We have reviewed your matter and taken all evidence into consideration to make our final judgement. Are there any words that you two would like to add before we go on?"

I keep my stance strong and look straight at Puck. I would often flick my eyes towards dad, trying to see by his reaction of what the outcome will be. But he's expressionless. He didn't look disappointed, angry, sad or guilty.

"No sir," I say.

Mike agrees.

"Good. We have found that the story Cade has told us appears to be the most accurate in corroboration with the evidence we have viewed. Mike, given this was your first known misbehaviour, we feel as a board that we will not suspend you. It was not right for you to provoke Cade. However, you did not instigate the fight. The board has decided to give one month worth of detention instead."

Mike doesn't say anything. I wanted to look at his expression but I didn't. I didn't want to risk anything, so I did what dad always taught me. Whenever in trouble, always look at the punisher, show them your discipline and show them obedience. I never thought it made sense, and I probably don't agree with it but out of habit, I do it.