Three

Cade's P.O.V.

I look at the tie and leave it on the car seat before getting out of the car. Mom and dad are already forcing me to go to this stupid family dinner, I will not let them make me wear a tie too. I shut the car door behind me. I look at Vivian Harper's house. This is the fourth time I'm being dragged here.

"Cade, where is your tie?" Mom asks.

I look at her, "I lost it," I lie.

"Cade, we're here to have dinner with your father's client. We need to make a good impression, so please go and put on that tie," mom says, catching onto my lie.

I suck in my cheek. "Alright," I say, turning around back to the car. I grab the navy blue tie and quickly tie it on. I hate going to family dinners, especially when they're my dad's client. Especially when it's at Vivian's house.

Despite everyone thinking that Vivian is an angel, I can see past that façade. She's rude. She's always been rude to me, that's for sure. I don't know why she hates me so much but she just does. I barely see her since I don't even go to class much. She probably hates me because her boyfriend hates me more. I don't blame him. I always get him in trouble. But what can I do? He's an easy target.

I turn around to face mom after putting on the tie, "Happy?" I ask. We're right in front of their house and we're still out here. It's cold, I want to go inside.

"Couldn't you at least brush your hair?" she walks towards me and pats down my hair. "There," she says taking a step back, examining me.

"Am I good-looking?" I smugly smile.

She smiles, "Always," she says, pinching my cheek. She loops her arm around mine and we head to the front door. Dad gets off his phone and tucks it into his inside pocket.

"Ready?" he asks.

"Yeah," I say.

Dad pushes the doorbell. We wait for a good one minute before Mr Harper opens the door. The same small, red head man stand in front if us. "Good evening, Lance!" Mr Harper greets.

"How are you, John?" dad greets.

Even though Mr Harper is dad's client, they've been college friends. They've helped each other out for as long as I remember. Ever since Mr Harper married Vivian's mum, we've been invited to their house for dinner for a while. Usually, Mr Harper would come to our house.

"Come on in," Mr Harper says.

"John, how are you?" mum asks.

"I'm good, Tiana. How about you?" he replies. After mum goes inside, I finally get inside. "Cade, you've grown into such a handsome man," Mr Harper says.

"Hey Mr Harper," I say. "I'm more handsome than before, right?"

Mr Harper gives a hearty laugh, "Ah, always the jokester!" he pats me on the back.

"Wait, so you don't think I'm more handsome than before?" I ask.

"Cade, stop talking. Sorry John. You know Cade, always fishing for compliments," mom apologises.

Mr Harper chortle, "That's alright." He still avoids answering. Hmm.

A woman approaches us and I have never seen her before. She has dark auburn hair, green eyes with a few wrinkles. She looks like Mrs Harper's age, maybe a little bit younger.

"Hello," she greets.

"Oh, you must be Meredith's sister," mom says, reaching out to her for a hug. The lady looks a little taken back but accepts the hug. "Mary, right?" she asks.