Thirty-Nine

Cade's POV.

4:45pm.

In only half an hour I can finally get out of the house and pick up Kaia from her home. In only half an hour I get my second chance in making everything right. I don't know why she agreed, she seemed so adamant on not taking me back and I truly thought for a moment there I was going to lose her. And for a moment, I thought she didn't like me enough to give it a second shot.

I wanted to get out of the house now, but I didn't know what to do by the time I get there. Instead, I sat in the living room with the television on, but I wasn't really watching. Mom was in her study room and I could hear on the phone with someone else. I couldn't figure out what they were saying, and I didn't really care. I was just staring blankly at the television, thinking of the many scenarios where this date will go wrong.

I was also afraid for a small moment what Kieran was going to say if we did get back together. Will he accuse me of playing with Kaia's heart? But I told everyone that Kaia was the one who broke up with me. I don't know why I did it. Probably because I didn't want to embarrass her, and I knew no one would feel bad for me if everyone thinks Kaia broke up with me. A lot of people were probably curious or maybe relieved.

People at school likes her. Even Vivian, her cousin, likes her but too embarrassed to admit it. And I can see why. I don't understand how someone like her would want to be with someone like me. The type of person that causes problems from left and right. The one who gets on everyone's nerves. The one that plays with people's heart. The one that would date someone in order to get money in return.

I know I have to tell her. She has the right to know. But the day she does know, will be the day she will never trust me again. So, do I tell her? Do I risk the one thing we have together? If I tell her, her heart would be broken. But if I didn't, I would always keep a secret, a truth, away from her. She would be deprived of the very information she has the right to know. But how could I tell her? How can I tell her without the risk of losing her?

"I have never seen you concentrate this much for a reality television show," dad interrupted. He entered the family room and took a seat beside me on the couch. I didn't shift, nor look at him. I just sat as if he didn't walk in the room and sat beside me. "What's bothering you so much?"

"What do you mean?"

"I mean there's something running around in that head of yours. Do you want to tell me or just live in pain silently?"

"I'm fine," I mumbled.

"Ah, so you picked the latter. Stupid choice, but I will respect it," dad replied.

I rolled my eyes. He was the last person I wanted to tell this to. "I'm keeping a secret away from a really close friend of mine, and I'm not sure if I should tell them or not."

"Is this friend Kieran or Kaia?"

I frowned. "What? Why would you say that?" I stumbled over my words.

"Because they are your only friends," dad answered.

"That's not true!"

"Okay then, who are your other mates?"

I paused. How embarrassing is that? Kieran is my only friend. Kaia is my ex-girlfriend. I really need a better social life. But then again, I was never the type to want a social life. I was content with being alone and making people miserable all by myself. I'm shocked that I'm actually comfortable hanging out with Kieran.

"Okay, fine. It's Kaia," I mumbled.

Dad smiled. "Does this secret make you look bad?" he asked.