One

Kaia's P.O.V.

  "Is it me or every time you move, this uniform gets tighter?" Kieran asks, pulling out his dress shirt that was tucked in his pants. I watch as Principal Howler leaves from our sight and I finally release the breath I was holding.

"That Principal is scarier than Aunt Meredith," I state. Kieran chuckles, loosening his tie. "We're about to go into class, why are you taking off your uniform already?" Principal Howler, as I like to call him, 'howled' at Kieran for his untidy hair and loose tie. First day of school and I already witness the wraith of Principal Howard.

"Remind me why we're not in public school? I was looking forward to the no uniform," Kieran groans, ruffling his hair.

"Because Aunt Meredith wanted us to have the best education possible," I mimic Aunt Meredith's cheerful tone.

The main reason why we moved all the way from Australia to this place was because of our parents' divorce. Kieran and I didn't really have a choice who we'd get to stay with, not like I was able to choose, but mum won custody. As a result, we move to another continent to live with mum's older sister, Aunt Meredith. It sucks that we had to move here.

I do want to be with mum but I hate how we have to leave dad behind and move into Aunt Meredith's house. I really don't like her. She's probably the worse person to ever exist on earth. Sure, she has an amazing house, a large mansion, but she's the biggest gold digger I know. I shouldn't really say this about my own aunt but unfortunately, it's the truth. She recently married Uncle John because he is some rich CEO of some company.

In all honesty, Uncle John isn't the type of guy that Aunt Meredith would even find attractive. Uncle John is the nerdy, red head man with puppy dog brown eyes. One day, I noticed Aunt Meredith stare at him with disgust when he showed her some of his train collection. But Uncle John is probably the coolest guy compared to Aunt Meredith's other husbands.

When I came to California two years ago to attend their wedding, Aunt Meredith was gushing all about Uncle John's wealth to mum. That was the worse trip I ever had. I think it's all thanks to Aunt Meredith's only daughter, Vivian Harper. Vivian most likely hates my guts – always thinking I'm some poor person that lives in the gutter. Kieran and I always make fun of Vivian and we even used her name as an insult to each other when someone acts snobbish and bitchy.

Vivian is probably like Regina George from Mean Girls. It was the nickname Kieran and I came up with for her. Every time Kieran and I would complain about Vivian, Vivian would ask who we were talking about and we always say it was Regina. She never questioned it and we never bothered explaining it to her either.

"You two must be Mr and Miss Mercer." I jump, almost screaming. I stare directly at the man staring at us, standing at an open doorway. "I know you are new to this school, but it's required for you to attend class to actually learn something." But this is just home room, what could I possibly learn here?

Crap, he must be the teacher. I awkwardly laugh, "Of course. Kieran was just fixing his uniform before we came in. Didn't want to make a bad impression," I say.

"And what were you waiting for?" he asks.

"Uh," I look at Kieran who is quickly fixing his uniform. Is he going to help me or just make me do all the work? "I was simply," I say, trying to act cool and relaxed, "practising how to introduce myself to you and the class," I lie.

That was the worse excuse I ever came up with. This is all Kieran's fault. He had to make me stand with him in the corridor, didn't he? "Oh really?" the man asks. He has blonde hair and big blue eyes. He is younger than I expected. "Then since you were preparing for such an introduction, why don't you two come in and introduce yourself?" he says.