Two

The whole time in class, while we were supposed to discuss with our partners about the assessment piece, Kieran and that Cade guy just sits in their seat. Both of their arms are crossed and both aren't even looking at each other. I don't know why I find this amusing but I wonder if the two would even get along. Cade is like the American version of Kieran.

"So, how do you spell your name?" Vivian asks. "K-A-Y-A?"

"That was supposed to be the way it was spelt. But my dad, for some reason, believed Kaya was spelt as K-A-I-A when really, mum wanted it to be spelt as K-A-Y-A, but since dad wrote K-A-I-A on my birth certificate, I'm stuck with K-A-I-A," I explain as if she found it so interesting.

She laughs softly and spells out my name in our team contract.

She then spells out her own name; Vivian. "I'm going to find it really difficult calling you Vivian since my cousin name is Vivian," I say. She looks at me, immediately I notice she's uncomfortable.

"Oh," she says, as though she's disappointed. 

"Like, the fact that I hate my cousin so much, I think of the name Vivian with such distaste. So calling you Vivian doesn't sound right because I think your nice and nothing like my cousin, so I like you. But when I say Vivian, I think about her and it's painful," I whisper quietly enough that my cousin and anyone can't hear. "How about I call you Vi, instead? It's pretty much your name but a nickname," I suggest, trying to make it sound as cool as possible, so she'd agree.

Her smile returns and she nods, "I like Vi," she says.

"Great! I like Vi too," I tell her.

"Class, I'll be back in a minute. I'm just going to quickly get something from my office," Mr Thomas says, leaving the classroom for the second time today.

I turn to look at Kieran but instead, I see Cade looking at me with his head tilted. His eyes intently watch me as though he is trying to figure me out. My eyes widen with shock and I slightly jump back. He notices and abruptly, he smiles. Not a smirk, a smile. I immediately avert my eyes feeling uncomfortable and look back at Vi. That was so weird.

"So, new girl," I hear someone say in front of me.

I turn my attention to the source of the voice and notice it's one of Vivian's minions, Rebecca. The evil Vivian. "Yes?" I ask, arching an eyebrow.

"Rebecca, stay away from her. She has a habit of transferring some of her foul odour on anyone who is near her and if that happens to you, I won't go anywhere near you until you take a shower," Vivian says. That earns a few giggles from Vivian's other minions. I roll my eyes, not really surprised with Vivian's insult.

Rebecca eyes me, "Gross," she says, with disgust.

"Now, now Vivian. How many times do I have to tell you? You can't blame other people for the fact that you naturally smell like cow shit," Kieran retorts.

"See, I told you, he's so mean to me," she says and begins to cry. You know, her killer fake cry, that for some reason, people fall for it.

"Says the girl who was insulting me first," I scoff. What is wrong with her? I know what she's doing. I can tell. I'm not stupid. She's trying to make us look like the evil cousins so everyone would hate us and feel sorry for her, and in the process, grab more attention.

"What's wrong with you?" Rebecca spat, glaring at Kieran.

"Vivian, don't cry. You'll ruin your makeup," Cade says with a mischevious smile.

"Shut up, Cade. No one was talking to you," Vivian snarls. Cade pouts. Vivian immediately softens her cry, wiping away her tears. "Rebecca, leave those losers alone and come back here." Vivian gives Cade one more glare before facing her back towards us. Rebecca does as she's told and takes her seat back beside Vivian.