Thirty-Two

Kaia's POV - Fifty-Three Days Remaining

I change the channel of the digital television. The one thing I love about this country is their television – they have all the good shows on air and are up to date. Everything comes out on time and I don't have to patiently wait for it to air in Australia to watch and make sure the internet doesn't spoil it for me. I guess in Australia, I was mostly jealous of America cause of their television and Hollywood. But I am missing Current Affairs.

"You better be here for the weekend," Vivian talks over the volume.

"Ok, Miss Bossy Pants – why do I have to be here for this weekend?" I ask, cringing at my own insult.

"Because, it's my birthday party," she says.

I look at her, utterly surprised. "I'm invited to your birthday party?" My mouth is slightly open from the shock as though a child just discovered candy for the first time. Wait a minute, why does she suddenly want me to be at her party.

"Yeah, you live here, don't you?" she states. She has a valid point. I look at her, observing her expressions and body language. I can't trust Vivian's words anymore. While living with her, she just doesn't care and it is harder for me to read what she thinks. Before, she was predictable but I guess that was also a while ago.

She's too good now. Kieran and I must have trained her well to be completely unreadable. She used to hate it when we finished her sentences or finish her explanation in a quicker way or predict what she would say or do next. She hated that the most and it was the one thing Kieran and I loved most about her. We were able to predict everything she does.

"I do, but like, your friends are weird," I state.

"And you're weird, so I guess you'll all get along just well," she mutters and takes a seat beside me. She grabs the television remote and changes the channel.

"Cool, just what I always wanted – being friends with your annoying boyfriend and his asshole brother," I say.

"What happened between you and Ben anyways?" she asks. I arch an eyebrow. "Besides the obvious of course, because you two seemed very close regardless of his weird behavior."

"I always hated him – we just had a mutual interest momentarily and now that interest is no longer existent, we don't talk," I answer.

"Yeah, I was the mutual interest," she says.

Get over yourself. But she's right. We watch some reality show about the Kardashians. I get more comfortable on the chair as I watch. We don't talk for a while until the advertisement popped up. "Ben might come to the party," she says.

"I just suddenly remembered I made prior commitments and won't be able to attend," I lie.

"Whatever – you're going whether you like it or not," she says.

"Why? Cause Ashton said I have to be here?"

"I broke up with Ashton," she says.

I choke on nothing. I sit up straight and turn my body to her in complete shock. I didn't think she would do that. I never thought she would end up breaking up with that guy. "You did?"

"Yeah, he was showing a lot of signs of possessiveness and controlling behaviors and I know it's only going to get worse. I read a lot of abusive relationships and I don't want to be in one and I think if I stayed with him, it'd only get worse," she says.

I sigh with relief, "Oh thank God," I found myself pulling Vivian into a hug.

"Eh, stop," she cringes. I ignore her and continue to hug her tightly, even if it will cut her blood circulation. For some reason, I'm so happy about a person I don't like. Soon, instead of Vivian groaning and complaining, she returns the hug. "I guess I should thank you."