Forty

Kaia's POV

No one questioned it when I ignored Aunt Meredith during breakfast the following day. No one questioned when I stood up and walked away when Aunt Meredith asked me her fifth question. And no one questioned why I was angry at Aunt Meredith. It just made me wonder how many people knew about this. How many people knew that Cade was only dating me for money? Or was this something they just didn't question?

I didn't know what to feel. I was angry. I was sad. I was horrified. I was angry because they lied to me, sad because they betrayed my trust and horrified because they were actually capable of doing that to me with no remorse. I didn't care if they told me the truth eventually, but they kept it all these days while I was slowly falling for Cade and they didn't say anything. They mislead me. They were deceptive and despiteful.

There was so much I wanted to say, scream and yell. I didn't care who to, just anyone. But I don't know why I'm holding it in. I just don't know who I want to say it to. Or what to say. And because no one asked me what was wrong – not even mum, or Kieran – I felt completely alone. And it wasn't because I was sitting on the roof of the school building with no one around. There was legitimately no one I could think of I wanted to speak to. Not Kieran, Vi, mum or even dad. This was completely new to me and I don't know how I'm supposed to react or do at this type of situation. It's like some strange feeling bloomed out of me – something I thought I hid away a long time ago but now it has come back to haunt me. And all I could think about was what happened this weekend.

Vi asked me this morning how my date with Cade went and I didn't know what to say. I told her that it was horrible, and I don't think I will ever be with him again. He lied to me. He deliberately lied to me from day one and what makes it worse, he was being paid by my own aunt. Truthfully, I don't know who I'm more mad at. Cade or Aunt Meredith. But because Vi had so many questions, I found myself on top of the roof and having my own personal monologue as I hate myself.

"Are you here for me?"

My whole body froze, and I instantly remembered who the roof belonged to. I looked to my right and Ben stood a few meters away from me, with an arched eyebrow and an untucked shirt.

"Aren't you supposed to be suspended or something?"

Ben frowned. "Since when?"

I blinked. "Since..." I paused. I actually don't know when. I've been so preoccupied, I have already started making up stories for everyone else. To be honest, who am I to say? It's probably true and Ben was messing with me.

"Are you okay?"

"Why are you here, Ben?"

"Uh, I don't know if you heard or anything, but I do live on this roof," Ben said in what I assume was his attempt of being sarcastic.

"Why? Are you homeless?" I mumbled.

There was a pause. I averted my gaze to my feet, finding them far more fascinating than anything else. I hoped that Ben would take the hint and leave me alone.

"What? No," he said as if it put him off guard. "Well, since you're okay... get out," he added.

"Now why would I do that?"

"Because your boyfriend wouldn't like it," Ben retorted.

I closed my eyes, inhaling deeply. Why did he have to say that? Out of all the things he could've said, he had to mention Cade, didn't he?

"Why? Are you scared?"

"Stop answering my questions with a question," Ben said with irritation.