CHAPTER 23

As we walk into the club, it's full of young and middle age guests. Why do I feel as I'm the one chaperoning? Wait, I spot some what I consider my age group. I shake my head in denial. It's big enough to get lost in. Lounge couches, chairs, tables, cocktail tables all over the room in white with neon lighting all over the walls and the colorful strobe lighting going along with the music. 

It's changed throughout the years growing up. It's definitely been a long time since I've been in a club and now I'm in one with my daughter. How time flies.

I follow Lyla and Krista, as they walk towards two tall slim dark-haired young men. Yup, I'm chaperoning tonight. This is going to be fun. They are standing by a couch and two tables side by side in front of it. It has a reserved card on it. How cute. They reserved this for us. Oh, how awkward I feel, being the fifth wheel.

"Hi guys," Krista says to the young man and gives him a kiss on the cheek. She turns to me.

"This is Lyla's Mom, Alix," Krista says introducing me. Great, I flush.  How embarrassing can this get, bringing your mom to a club? 

"Hi" I reply, smile and wave to both. "So cool, Lyla, that your mom is here in a club. How awesome is that?" The one in the blue button-down shirt says. I haven't caught his name but at least someone here thinks it's cool to bring your mother to chaperone you at a London club. 

"Mom, this is Richard and Brad" finally a name, but just when I'm trying to forget Joe for tonight, remembering him being jealous of the Brad back at Lyla's graduation party when he saw Brad kiss my hand. Come to think of it, I thought she liked Brad by the way she was excited to introduce her to her dad? I see a waitress walking towards us. Perfect timing.

"Would you ladies like anything to drink" The waitress offers holding a tray on her hand. We look at each other. Lyla points to me "Mom".

"Yes, I'll take a glass of Chardonnay," I ask over the music. Great now she knows I'm the chaperone ordering an older woman's drink.

"I'll have a cranberry and Vodka" Lyla askes "I'll have the same" Kirsta agrees

I sat down on the couch, I think I should make the best of what feels like it's going to be a long night. The music is upbeat, I see Lylay moving her leg a slight bit. She loves music. She gets it from my side of the family. Lyla and Krista start chatting away with the two young men. I look around at my surroundings, Linda is missing this shit, she would've left with one tonight, that's how many young men are here tonight. I should text her and gloat.

5 minutes later, the waitress comes by, lowers her tray, handing me, Lyla and Krista, our drinks as I see, the young man already have their drinks.

"Cheers to my Mom being here in London and managed to get her here in the club" she gloats. We all laugh and cheers.

As I finish my sip. I look behind Krista. My heart dropped. I stopped breathing.

Joe, Joe is here. I can't breathe. I'm frozen. I want to run and throw my arms around him and tell him how I've missed him. But I'm not. I'm raged at why hasn't he called, texted and to top it all off, he was engaged to his assistant that is practically all over him and forgot to mention it to me.

"Joey" Krista yells out. Joey? That's what she must call him. It breaks my heart to see how happy she is to see the one she loves the most in the world.

I don't know where to run to, I just can't tell Lyla how hurt Joe made me feel. I feel used. How fast I've fallen for him, in these past weeks and He hasn't called for 2 days, but who keeps counting? ME!