CHAPTER 9

"Mom" Lyla yells as she's coming into my room

"Lyla, calm down, we will get to the airport on time."

"Mom, please, we are all meeting up for some drinks before we board the plane," she complains. 

"Sorry if I'm rushing, just don't want to keep them waiting." she expresses. To be young again. I'm not saying that I don't love my life. Watching Lyla choose her destiny makes me sad at times cause I've never had advantages, my parents would dictate my life and that I had to marry Michael. That's the worst decision I listened to.

"Where's Daddy?" she fidgets. 

"Lyla he's on his way" I lie as I walk out of the room as she follows. I actually really don't know where he is, he didn't respond to my text this morning. This man will be late to his own funeral. 

The doorbell rings. Speak of the devil, this better be him.

"There's daddy" she yells. Great, time to put a fake smile. If he only knew the orgasms I had last night. MMMM why am I still thinking about him.  

"So know who's taking her time" grabbing my keys from the console table in the foyer as I'm walking to the front door to open it.

"Hello, Michael" I sigh. Not the person I want to see at this very moment.

"Don't be so happy to see me, Alix" he gloats "Sad how you've come to know me after all these years" I gloat back. 

Checkpoint for me I might say. I hate to be this harsh with him. But spending years with someone, you realized had no real connection with as I tried to fix what I thought we had at first. We lost each other along the way and felt terrible dragging and hurting Lyla along with us. 

 I had no support to comfort me. I was alone carrying all the weight, as my parents were no help, didn't agree on my actions on giving up my marriage, as they said I did. I can't forget how they acted, but I had to forgive them for Lyla's sake. The fact was, we had to end all that we tried. Even though he still has hope. Which still amazes me how he does. I give him no reason to what's so ever. 

 Yet, I do have hopes that I'll overcome my barriers to not feel shame, blame or fear of trying again.

"Oh, Alix, lighten up, it's only a car ride to the airport, it's not like I'll be asking you to dinner...but-" 

"The answer is No, Michael" I quickly cut him off and walked out to his car parked in my driveway. I turn by the front of the car and wait for Lyla to come out. It's so beautiful out. I'm glad it turned out to be sunny. At least my nerves will be better knowing the weather won't be an issue for them to fly out and land safely.

"Lyla, let's get a move on" Michael calling out through the doorway walking towards me as Lyla closes the door behind him.

"I like what you did, with the gardening...you had time I see," he says admiring my front garden. Why I have no clue. It always looked the way it does even when he lived here. No different and now he notices it? 

We all are in the car, on the way to the airport, just about a 15-minute drive from the house. My anxiety is hitting the roof.

"You have everything you need, Lyla...Did you check your flight in, is it on schedule?" I nervously ask, looking out the window, trying so hard not to burst out into tears. I hate to make her feel bad. If she only knew what's going on in my head. The mistake I did and keeping it from her.

"Mom, seriously-I have everything under control...Yes, I checked myself in this morning, when Krista text me" That's it, I lost it. I burst out into tears. My guilt is killing me.