CHAPTER 28

As I walk in through my house doors, my cell phone rings. Unfortunately, I know it's not Joe from the ringtone. I've programmed his calls, texts, and messages to a specific tone. I take it out of the purse, Linda's name pops up on the caller Id. I pick it up.

"Linda," I sigh, walking into the kitchen.

"Hey Alix, I've missed you," she expresses. I frown at the thought that I've been trying to avoid her. I shouldn't, she's my best friend, but truth be told, I don't want to hear any I told you so's or listen to her say, 'It's a youngin thing, they don't know what they want out of life yet'. Even though she doesn't know the Joe, I've gotten to meet. He doesn't seem his age, he's more mature, selective and carries his poise well, as a full-grown adult.

"I know" I sigh.  "it's been hectic at work with the Reception coming up, Anthony has Brian and I nuts?

"Is everything ok?" she asks in a concerned tone.

"Yes, why?" I play the role which it kills me too.

"No, nothing, it's just, you've been not yourself lately; remember, you're like a sister and sister's now and feel things, Alix," She admits and hears her sigh. I'm going to burst out into tears.

"Please, Linda, don't worry. I'm a tough cookie." I lie, trying so hard not to cry.

"Linda, thank you for always looking out for me. I truly love you." I honestly say and wish I can be open to telling her my true feelings. She feels there's something wrong, and she's right.

"Well, If you ask me, I think we should go out to dinner and dancing. Now that you got that club taste back in London let's go and have a girls' night out. Heck, we'll even take Anthony," she chuckles, and I follow. Um Anthony, noway.

"No thanks, I think I had my share of clubbing for a couple of months" I shake my head as the thought of going to a club with my boss.

"Boring," she murmurs.

"Can I call you tomorrow, I just got in and want to relax, maybe take a swim?"

"Yes, but text me, I have a date. I'll text you some pics."

"No, thanks," we laugh. I don't trust what kind of pictures she'll be sending as the last one Linda by mistake sent, I couldn't get out of my head for months, plus I didn't know you can have sex in the position they were in. 

"Bye, Linda" I hang up, shaking my head, leave it up to Linda to make me laugh at the right time.

I lean over my island counter, still looking out my kitchen window, gazing at my pool trying to have peace of mind as v the thought of my late-night swims, and how it's now ruined by the memory of Joe and me when we first had our kiss. 

I turn and walk toward my wine refrigerator and take out a bottle of Dry White wine. I look at the bottle. I don't remember who bought this for me. It's been here for a while now. Maybe trying a new isn't so bad, then the usual. I open it. Grab a glass. Pour it and take a big gulp "MMM" Yup, this is what I needed after tonight's events. Come to think of it; I didn't even finish my drink.

I take another sip as I'm walking toward my kitchen window again. I look around the yard admiring how peaceful it looks and think about Brian. I wonder what his thoughts were with what happened tonight? I can't be a positive one. He now knows about Joe. Well, from what he saw, he knows there was trouble in paradise. 

Did he notice he was young? Even though Joe doesn't characterize himself as being young. But he's not this average older looking man, as you would tell in Brian. Brian is not that bad looking, not as masculine or tall as Joe.