Queens

Leo

Pain had erupted in my chest.  It was like my lungs wanted to explode.  "Hey you okay?"  The officer proceeded to open my cell.  Today was a Monday and I finally posted bail.

"Um yeah."  I beat on my chest willing for this sharp pain to go away.

Finally I was free and I wanted nothing more than to go home and hold my wife in my arms.

Making my way out, the pain only grew.  But I ignored it.  Not having a car or a phone and my wallet was left back at my parents home I had to make a collect call.

Looking for a phone I finally found a phone booth.  Wow they still actually exists.  I needed a ride and the first person I would call was Amelia.  Unfortunately it went straight to voice mail.

I could call Jake but he doesn't drive yet.  Noel is my best bet.  On the third ring he finally picks up, "Oh fuck Noel."

"Leo?"  His voice was sullen but I was too busy to noticed.

"Look man, I need a ride home."

He grew silent not wanting to speak.  "Um about that..."

"Tell me later I just want to get home..."

"Is that Leo?"  Jake?  Is he with Noel?

"Is that Jake?"

A small shuffle was heard until I heard his voice, "Leo."  His voice had cracked.

Something was wrong.  "Jake, what's wrong?"

"It's...its...." in the back ground I could hear Nessa and she was crying up a storm.

"Jake where is your mom?"  This was unusual.  She never let's Nessa cry especially not for this long.

"Leo, mom...she..not...wak..." his voice trembled and I could only guess what had happened.

"Where are you?"

"Queens Hospital."  Fuck that is an hour drive. 

"Have Noel come pick me up and make it quick."

Hanging up the phone I waited impatiently. With no money to spare I couldn't go anywhere.  My eyes widen seeing Noel's car.  Immediately headed for the driver's side.  "Move."  I was driving.  No way in hell will I wait anymore.

Moving to the passenger's seat I drove on the road like I was being chase by a pack of rabid dogs.

"Whoa Leo slow down or we might get pulled."

"I don't fucking care." That's not important at the moment. My family needs me. "What the fuck happened, Noel? How is my wife in the hospital?"  Noel frowned.  He didn't say a single word.  "Tell me god damn it."

"I think it is best you ask Mark."

"Mark?"  What the fuck does he have to do with this? Parking the car, I ran towards the hospital.  Noel said she was in the ER and that is where I headed only to find Jake holding Nessa in his arms, Mark my brother and my parents as well. Mark was already filled with bruises and scratches courtesy of Jake I'm assuming.

Storming up to Mark I grabbed him by the collar, "What the fuck did you do?"  I growled my eyes bulging out and my veins on my biceps was protruding.

For the first time he look terrified of me, "Let go of him son."  Dad attempted to touch me but I shoved him away turning my attention back to Mark.

"It...It was an accident."

"Leo..."  Jake sobbed while trying to calm down a crying Nessa.  "It's mo..." throwing Mark aside, I hugged Jake.  I don't know what happened but my family comes first and Jake looked like he is about to be torn.

"The family of Mrs. Santi?"  A man in a blue overall shrubs appeared. Only it was covered in blood stains.

"Mrs. Santi?"  Dad looked shocked but I could care less.

"I'm her husband." 

"Her husband?  You two are married?" Dad thundered.

"Not now you stupid old man." I grumbled. "My wife, how is she?"

The doctor frowned, "Mrs. Santi had a hard hit to the head and is suffering from a ruptured spleen which can cause internal bleeding."

I think my heart just stop.  My wife is in there fighting for her life.  "Doctor please do everything to save her." I begged.

"We will do all that we can."  Watching the doctor leave, Jake had crumbled before my eyes.

"Mom, she...Leo I just saw her this morning and she was fine."  Jake heaved.  "Mom..I can't loose mom Leo..."  He put his head on my shoulder. He was breaking and I wanted to break along with him but I had to stay strong.

"Everything will be fine.  Your mom is a fighter."  Looking behind him, Mark looked guilty, mom sad and my dad could care less.  "This is your fault Mark. What the hell did you do?"

"It was an accident...I...I..I didn't know..."

"Talk from the beginning."  He remained silent.  "This is what you did.  Because of you, Jake might loose his mom, Nessa too and I, my wife."

Dad scoffed and I'd give anything to beat him to death but I couldn't go back to the police station. Looking at his phone he proceeded to walk away an answer his call he just received.

"It was raining and I just wanted to talk to her.  You know...so I followed her car..." He squealed.

"You followed her!  You fucking bastard followed her! My daughter was also in that car!"

"I wasn't thinking. I didn't think she would pull over in the free way to confront me."  He continued and with every word he speaks only infuriated me more.  "Next thing I know a car came...and..."

"Oh fucking hell."  I grabbed my hair wanting to yank it out.

"Where is my sister?"  A loud voice shrieked.  Two loud voices and two quiet ones.  Her sister's and their husband.

Once Tina had spotted me she slapped me, "This is all your fault.  You promise to take care of my sister so how, how the hell is she in the hospital?"

"I..."

"No excuses, how could you do this to her..."

"Well..."

"Marrying you is the biggest re..." I felt another slap only this time it was from Emily.

"Tina let the boy speak first."  Edward soothed his wife.

"Auntie."  Jake teared, "It's not Leo's fault."

"Oh my poor boy."  Tina embraced him before taking Nessa into her arms and soothing her down.

"If its not his fault then whose?"  Chris asked.

Jake pointed to Mark who look even more terrified. 

Both sisters fumed.  Tina gave Jake, Nessa back as both sister's proceeded to slap Mark with their bags.  If only they were filled with rocks.

"Tina Santavo."  Dad intrudes after returning from his call, a smile forming on his face.

Tina looks up to see Dad.  "Uncle?"

Say what now.