Chapter 16

Malaysia's POV

   I think I'm gonna make breakfast for my grandma and I.  I knock on her door.  No answer.

Hm.  That's weird.

I knock on the door two more times.  Still no answer.  I try to open the door, but it's locked.  I step back and kick the door open.

I rush over to her.  She looks like she's sleeping, but there's discoloration in her face.  She's cold to the touch, and there's no pulse.

I call 911, begging the operator to hurry up and send someone out, crying hysterically.

When they get here, they kick me out of the room.

Minutes later, one of the paramedics says the most unimaginable words to me.  "She's gone."

When they carry her body out of the house, I watch as I cry my eyes out.

My grandma...she's dead.

I have no one now.  I loved her so much, and now she's gone.

I run over to Darian's house.  I bang on his door, tears uncontrollably flowing from my eyes.

"Woah, Lay, what's wrong?"  He says immediately with alarm as soon as he opens the door.

I throw myself into him.  He hugs me.  My body goes limp and slowly falls to the ground, his going down with mine.

"Lay, it's ok.  I'm here for you.  I got you."  He coos, rocking me as he strokes my hair.

Eventually, I get to a point to where I can talk, still sniffling and wiping my eyes.

"Ok, Lay, tell me what's wrong."  He gently says.  "M-My grandma died."  "Oh my God, I'm so sorry."  He holds me tight, encasing me with warmth and love.

"Now I have nowhere to go."  "Come in.  I'll ask my mom if you can stay here with us."

I go up to his room and wait for him to come back.

"What did she say?"  "She said no."  He says with a disappointed sigh.

We talk for awhile until a light bulb appears over my head.  "I know who I can stay with!"