Chapter 4

Malaysia's POV

   "Hi, Ms. Smith."  Darian says to my grandma.  "Oh, hi, Sweetheart.  How are you?"  "I'm fine, and you?"  "Oh, I'm good."  "That's good to hear."  "Well, I'll just leave you kids to it."  My grandma walks up the stairs.

We sit on the couch.  "What's up with you, playboy?"  "So there's this girl, and I wanted to talk to you about it first."  "Wait, why?"  I inquire with a brow arched.

"Because you're a very important person in my life, and I respect your opinion.  I value your approval."

Awwww.  It's so sweet that he values my opinion and seeks my approval.  "So, who is she?"  "Her name is Veronica.  She doesn't go to our school, but I hang out with her.  I met her at the mall.  This is her."

He shows me a pic of her on his phone.  She's a makeup user.  She's pretty with makeup on, but who's to say what she looks like without makeup?

"Well, I'm gonna have to meet this girl."  "Fo' sho."

.....

Since I was so eager to meet Veronica, Darian set up a meeting between us in the mall.  I see her sitting at a table in the food court, scrolling through something on her phone.

I walk over to the table.  "Hi, I'm Malaysia, Darian's best friend."  I say, holding my hand out to her.  She puts the phone down and looks up at me with a smile.  "Hi, I'm Veronica.  Darian's told me so many great things about you."  She says as we shake hands.

I sit down across from her.  "So, how long have you known Darian?"  I say.  "Two months."  "Do you like him?"  "I have a crush on him.  I feel like I could have feelings for him one day if we continued to interact with each other."

"What do you like about him?"  "He's really chill.  He has a dope personality.  He's smart.  He's cute.  He's sweet.  He's respectful."  "All that is true.  What are your intentions with him?"

"I would like to get to know him better, and if we hit it off to a great extent, then I hope to have a happy, healthy relationship with him."

"Well, there's one thing you should know.  Darian's only dated one time before, and it didn't work out well for him.  He got hurt, and ever since then, he's stuck to me.  I'm all he knows, so if you date him, you date me.  I don't play about Darian.  He's like a brother to me."

"Um, are you two a thing?"  "No, but he is important to me, and I'm important to him.  We're childhood friends.  We've been best friends since first grade.  We have each other's backs."

"Have you two ever dated before?"  "No."  "So, you mean to tell me you guys have all these years together, and you've never dated not once?"  She says with a brow raised.

"Yes, because a guy and a girl can have a strictly platonic relationship.  We love each other, but in a different way than everyone would expect."

"I can respect that.  Thank you for being straight up with me."  "You're welcome.  Just whatever you do, please don't hurt Darian.  I hurt whoever hurts him.  I really don't want to hurt you.  You seem like a nice girl."

.....

"So, how'd it go?  What do you think?"  Darian asks me.  "I think it went well.  She was respectful.  I let her know that I have your back, and that we're strictly platonic."

"What do you think about her?"  "She seems ok.  I can't say anything bad about her so far, but I always keep an eye open.  She did seem kinda worried about our relationship, though."

"Malaysia, can I ask you something?"  "Of course.  You know you can ask me anything."  "Have you ever thought about taking our relationship to the next level?"

"The next level?"  "Yeah.  Like, a romantic relationship."  "Sorry, no I haven't.  You know I've never dated before, so it's never really crossed my mind.  Have you?"

"Yeah, I did at one point a long time ago, but I thought it was silly because I figured you could never reciprocate anything.  Are you sure you're ok with me dating Veronica?"

Wow, it's surprising to know that he's thought about me as a girlfriend before.  But there's one thing I wanna know...

"Yeah, but what made you ask me that?"  "Well, we've never really talked about it.  It's always been a topic looming over us, and we've never really acknowledged it.  Plus, I need to know from you if it's ok for me to date other people."

"Thanks for being considerate of my feelings."  "You're welcome, Lay."  We hug each other.