forty. breathe, keep breathing

EDITED AUGUST 22, 2021

RECOMMENDED TO LISTEN TO EXIT MUSIC (FOR A FILM)

Still hyperventilating, Eight sat in the corner struggling to breathe. It felt like she was in her nine year old state again. Alone. Scared. Desperate for help.

Eight sighed, knowing that she needed some sort of distraction to help her get her mind off a little.

"Seriously? He locked you in again?" Ben asked from the other side of Eight's bed. Eight let out a shaky sob, making Ben move up to Eight and hug her really tightly. Eight just let herself cry into Ben's shoulder. 

"I-I don't know what to do Ben. I can't breathe in there." she mumbled.

Ben slowly backed out from their embrace, looking at his best friend with tired eyes. "You know what will help you from the pain? Distraction," he said in a proud voice. 

Eight looked at the boy, confusion evident in her features. "Distraction?" she repeated, unsure if he was joking or not.

"Yes. And you know what the best distraction is?" Ben asked, walking to her bedside and taking one of the books he had given her. "Reading."

"Reading." Eight mumbled. "Reading, reading, reading." Eight repeated, taking the book she had in her pocket for so long and decided to read it. It wasn't the normal choice for a person to read, but she would get distracted, right? It's not like there was some Greek literature for her to read at the moment.

She started to scan the first few pages. It was nothing important, just mainly newspaper clippings and research about Akahnitamud. Apparently, she died giving birth to a child on October 1st, 1989. Eight looked at the book in confusion, what if she was her real mother?

Eight scanned the other pages to see a girl who looked almost exactly like her. Reginald had never showed her pictures of Akahnitamud, fearing that it might trigger the being once again. Eight looked at the pictures in fear, Akahnitamud definitely was her real mother.

As Eight reached, the 40th page, her eyes widened.

April 27, 1995

It has come to my attention that Number Six and Number Seven do not seem to be fazed or scared of Number Eight. However, One, Two, Three, Four and Five do not like Eight at all. This is troubling, Number Eight needs to balance her emotions out and with the catch of almost all of her siblings hating her, this would be a hard thing to pursue. Must think of something so that they could all bond with Number Eight.

April 28, 1995

How could I not know? The answer had been there all along.

Number Three.

I got the idea when Eight wouldn't stop crying at the table today after One had picked on her. Number Three used her powers on Number Eight to stop her from crying, and it suddenly hit me.

It worked with Number Seven, why wouldn't it work with Number Eight?

April 29, 1995

This is what I've feared. Number Four and Number Eight had a huge fight today, making her emotions spring out of the place once again. I should have rumored Eight sooner.

There had been a lot of damage to the academy, and many artifacts from my past trips had been broken. I need to rumor Number Eight before anything gets worse.

April 30, 1995

Number Three had already rumored Number One, Two, Four, and Five into loving Eight. I do not know why it isn't that evident in Number One, but they all love Eight.