twenty two. buddy

EDITED JULY 18, 2021

Eight shakily made her way towards Five's van, desperately trying to stop the tears from dropping out of her eyes. The girl couldn't do anything but stop herself from breaking down, even though she was receiving some looks from the people who were passing by. It must've looked like she was trying to contain a sneeze.

The pressure of saving her family was finally dawning upon her, and she realized that maybe she an Five weren't able to pull this off since she couldn't even protect them from Hazel and Cha-Cha.

When Five had spotted Eight out in the streets, sniffling in her uniform, he spacial jumped towards the girl, not giving a damn about who saw him. Eight took this by surprise, her first instinct was to kick whoever was in there in the groin, but when she had seen the person she loved so much, Eight immediately rubbed her face, smiling at him as if nothing had just happened.

Five stroked her hair for comfort before looking around to check if anyone was there, and to their luck, no one was. Five spacial jumped both of them to the car where Eight just let all of her tears out. The first thing that was on Five's mind was to comfort her, and that's exactly what he did.

They sat in there with Eight continuing to cry, while Five just kept on holding her hand for reassurance. After the girl calmed down a little, Five felt the girl relax into his arms. When he looked at Eight, her eyes were closed and there were soft snores coming from her mouth, indicating that she had fell asleep. Five looked at the love of his life tenderly before kissing her on her forehead.

-

"Sweetie, it's time to wake up." Five shook Eight's body slowly. The girl slowly adjusted herself to the lighting, was it morning already?

"Love, why were you crying?" Five questioned, setting Delores comfortably on the back seat. Eight stood up from her position, stiffing out a yawn and looking around. "I-um-" she started to stammer. Five's usually cold eyes started to warm up a little when he saw that Eight was fidgeting. "Love, if you don't want to tell me, I'm okay with it." he stated. Eight shook her head, Five deserved to know.

"It's.. about saving them. I don't think we're going to pull this off." she started. "Yesterday, Hazel and Cha-Cha attacked the academy, looking for us. They barely made it out alive. And I thought... if I can't save my family from two assassins, how will we save them from the apocalypse?" she questioned, looking out. Five sighed, holding her hand once again. "We will, love. Trust me."

That was the only words she needed.

-

Eight and Five stayed hidden behind a corridor, looking at the doctor who held his dog, about to go to his car. "Hey, love. Let's not hurt the dog, okay?" Eight told Five, who nodded. When the man put the dog inside, he spacial jumped both of them into the car. Eight quickly climbed to the backseat with the dog, while Five waited for Lance to go in the car.

"Hey, buddy." Eight patted the dog, who licked her hand repeatedly. Eight stifled out an 'awwww'.

"Oh jesus!" Lance explained when Five had spacial jumped to the drivers seat. Eight watched in amusement when Five had pressed a knife to the man's throat. "One chance. That's all you've got. One chance to tell me exactly what's going on in that lab!" Five yelled.

"I I manufacture prosthetic devices for fake patients. I bill the insurance companies and then sell them for cash - on the black market." the man stammered in fear, making Five press the knife in his throat tighter. "Including eyeballs?" Five questioned. "Yeah, they're my biggest seller. I mean, they sell like hotcakes. I-I've got a list, a waiting list, probably 20 buyers." the man explained. "So the serial number I told you.." Five trailed on. "Uh, could've already been bought. Yes, off off the books." the man replied.

"I needed that list, Lance. Names and numbers, and I need it now!" Five yelled, growing agitated. "I-I don't have it. I mean, not on me. The only copy's in my safe at the lab." The man stuttered. "Well, you start the car, then. 'Cause we're going on a field trip." Five growled. The man nodded making Five pull away the knife as he started the car and began driving.

The ride to the lab was awkward, considering Five had just held a knife to the doctor's neck and had threatened to kill him. Eight took in a deep breath when she saw her shoulder start to bleed again. She stopped petting the dog and removed her blazer, revealing the wound. Five took his attention away from Lance and went to look at Eight. "What happened?" he questioned tenderly when he saw the white part of her uniform bleeding out.

"Um, it's fine. I just need to stitch it up again. Please look after Lance." she muttered, before taking the supplies she needed in her bag. She slowly stitched up the part that she needed to stitch out, then she put some bandage over it to stop the bleeding. Eight put her blazer back on, just the same time that Lance had stammered, "W-were here."

Eight and Five went out of the car, following the man as he led them down to a street. "Oh no," Eight whispered as smoke started to appear. She shared a look with Five until they both let go of the man, running towards where the building was. Eight looked in dismay when they had reached the building. A glass broke, then they were thrown back due to the force of the explosion.

They both fell on the pavement, rolling away from the building as Eight collapsed on the ground, unable to move. She felt the stitches on her leg loosed up again, and Eight let out a groan, knowing that she needed to fix it up again.

Eight slowly stood up, helping Five recover from his fall. They both sighed as they heard sirens begin to ring.

The only lead they had was gone.

-

( unpublished and republished since i accidentally labeled it chapter twenty one again )