twenty seven. pause button

EDITED AUGUST 19, 2021

It was common knowledge that Five never really clicked with Luther. Sure, it wasn't as bad as Eight's dislike of the strong man, but to him, Luther had always just been there. Existing. He didn't really have too much of a strong opinion, yet here he was.

Spilling his heart out to his very unexpected companion.

"You know, I never enjoyed it. We never enjoyed it." Five stated, looking down at the seatbelt before removing it. "What?" Luther asked, looking at his brother. Five took a dee breath before looking outside the window. "The killing." Luther turned. "I mean, we were good at the work, and we took pride in it. But it never gave us pleasure.I think it was all those years alone, just the two of us to keep our sanity." Five mumbled. "Solitude can do funny things to the mind." he finished, looking over at Luther who had a look of guilt in his face.

"Yeah, well, you were gone for such a long time. I only spent four years on the moon, but that was more than enough. It's the being alone that breaks you, at least you had Eight with you." Luther replied, reminiscing how sad he felt when he was alone in the moon, and how desperate he was to have another person talk to him besides Reginald. He thought Five was lucky; he had the love of his life there with him, but Luther could only dream of having his special someone with him back up in the moon.

"Do you think they'll buy it?" Luther asked, motioning to the briefcase that he had in his hand. He was done with all this depressing talk: all he wanted to do now was to get this whole thing over with.

"Well, what I do know is that they're desperate. It's like a cop losing his gun. If the Commission finds out, they'll be in deep shit. Oh, not to mention the fact that they'll be stuck here until they get it back." Five replied, his mind suddenly drifting to Eight. He had been so immersed with the equations and the ideas of saving the world, he didn't know where Eight was. All he knew that Diego was with her, but she could be in danger since Hazel and Cha-Cha were still alive. They must have encountered her and Diego on the way.

And besides, it was Eight. Danger followed her wherever she went, whether she liked it or not.

"Well, I should hold onto it." Luther replied, snapping Five out of his worrying. "Hm?" he questioned. "In case they make a move on you." Luther replied, now holding the briefcase in his hands. "Okay, Luther, but be careful. I mean, I've I've lived a long life, but you're still a young man. You got your whole life ahead of you. Don't waste it." The sound of a car approaching was heard, making Five alarmed that Hazel and Cha-Cha were near.

"Are you sure you're okay up there?" Diego screamed at Eight, who had relished the feeling of wind blowing through her.

"I'm good!" Eight screamed back. The truck hit a bump, causing the girl to fall a little to the side on the ice cream truck, but she regained her balance and went on top of the truck again. Klaus looked up in worry, since he had heard several bumps, which he assumed was Eight falling around everywhere.

"I can see the car!" Eight screamed, starting to stand herself up. There was a tune coming from the Ice Cream truck which just gave the whole thing, overall a whole lot of creepiness. "Go faster!" Diego exclaimed, making Klaus jam his feet into the pedal, causing Eight to fall back a little but stand again. Eight gave Five and Luther a wave when she saw them on the sidelines, then mentally smacking herself since she had forgot to tell Five about her plans with Diego.

"It's a set up!" Cha-Cha exclaimed, starting to fire all of the bullets towards Eight who deflected them all. Eight used her mind to throw the two goons farther up the road, until everything paused.

It was like someone clicked a pause sign. The world had suddenly stopped.

"What the hell?" Eight mumbled to herself, looking behind her to see if she was officially losing her mind or not.