eight. dear diary

EDITED MAY 20, 2021

Dear Diary,

It's the second year that Five and Eight haven't returned. Dad put up a painting of Five and Eight in the living room, nice to see that the old man is capable of feeling. Although, he wouldn't have put it if they didn't leave. Ben still keeps on crying in his sleep since they left, which I couldn't blame him. He and Eight were the closest. He and Eight are the only ones who act like real siblings in here, and now she's gone.

I miss Five. He's a pretty shitty brother but I still miss him. Everyone in the house are starting to miss the spatial jumps everywhere and the objects that randomly floating around the house.

Everyone lost hope, except for Klaus. He still claims that Eight and Five are not dead, since He wasn't able to conjure them. Nobody took him seriously. I don't blame them, Klaus is pretty messed up sometimes.

Missions aren't the same without Eight and Five. The spacial jumps and the ability to kill someone with a single touch can really come in handy when you're trying to stop a bunch of people steal from a museum. I almost got shot the other day, if it wasn't for Allison.

Anyways, Eight and Five are missed. It isn't just the same without them.

Diego

-

40 YEARS AGO, APOCALYPTIC TIME.

Eight started crying uncontrollably. Five scooted next to the poor girl and started wiping the tears off her eyes. "Hey, it's okay. Let's just read the book and figure it out." Five instructed and went to read the book.

It started out with an introduction. The contents were the typical things that you would see in a books introduction. Where the academy was, who lived in there, why they lived in there.

"Chapter One," Eight shakily read out. Her dirty hands traced the ends of the book. "Luther Hargreeves."

They spent the whole day reading the book. It was a very lengthy book, with each chapter describing what type of person each number was and stories about them. And oh boy, Vanya had a lot to tell. It was mentioned in there that time that Klaus once tripped over Grace's heels and got his haw wired. It was also told about that time when Diego and Eight were forced to battle each other.

Vanya gave all the family secrets. Deep down, Eight felt a little disappointed in her sister, but it wasn't her fault that she decided to write the book. Everyone thought that they were all living in a fantasy wherein they stop bad guys and get rewards from the government. But it was much more shittier than that.

"Chapter Six, Ben Hargreeves." Five had read out. Eight's breathing hitched. The mere mention of the name of the only person she considered as a brother in the household made her sad. Five started silently reading a few paragraphs, until he had decided that Eight was the one who was supposed to read it.

Eight shakily took the book from his hands and started reading. Eight chuckled for a few moments that Vanya mentioned about Ben, like that time when she and Ben pranked Klaus into thinking that he was dreaming. Eight read a few more paragraphs until Five noticed a tear dropping down from her eye.

Ben Hargreeves was a lot of things. Out of my brothers and sisters, he was the softest. Ben would always cry himself to sleep after Eight had disappeared. When she was gone, it felt like a part of Ben was gone, since he started acting different.

We were on a mission one day, and Ben used his powers to summon the tentacles that came from another dimension.

Sadly, he didn't survive.

"No." Eight whispered. Her whole body was now shaking from sobbing too much. Five was at her side, doing his best to comfort the poor girl.

In the end, after Ben had died, there was nothing really connecting us. We were just strangers, living under the same roof. Destined to be alone, starved for attention, damaged by our upbringing, and haunted on what might have been. We all wanted to be loved by a man who was incapable of giving love.

Eight couldn't read anymore through her blurry eyes. Five just sat beside her with his arm around her, caressing her every few moments. It was a long day, and soon Five felt Eight fall asleep on his shoulders. Giving her a quick peck on her forehead, Five set her down on the most comfortable position that he could find.

35 YEARS AGO, APOCALYPTIC TIME

"I don't know, Dolores. I mean, I want to tell him. But our situation right now isn't really appropriate right?" Eight asked, sitting down beside her friend. The doll stood in there, still. But in Eight's mind, Dolores was talking to her.

"Tell me what?" A now much older Five asked from out of nowhere. His voice was much much deeper than it had once been. He was a man now, 23 years old. Eight jumped in surprise. "Oh! I-ai thought you were finding supplies, anyways, Delores and I were just talking about nonsense. You know, the usual stuff." she had said and started walk away. Five walked towards her direction, gripping both of her arms in place.

The nervous look on Eight's face was evident, and Five couldn't help but chuckle on how adorable she was being right now.

Five cupped Eight's cheeks, making her stare back at him. An in that moment, all they saw was each other. The rest of the world was starting to fade away, and all they saw was each other.

Five started to notice the scar that was near Eight's lip. It was faint and not that visible. "How did you get that scar?" Five asked, his face visibly close to Eight's. Eight gulped. "From that time Diego and I were forced to fight each other." Eight started. "I remembered that time, you were so mad at Reginald. Then you always.. took care of me." Eight stated.

Five smiled and started to lean in into Eight. Soon, his lips were on hers. Eight smiled into the kiss, the feeling of giddiness rushing through her veins. The whole time she was at the apocalypse, this was one of the moments she really appreciated. After a few seconds, Five broke out of the kiss, breathless. A huge grin was plastered on his face.

"How long have you wanted to do that?" Eight joked, leaning onto his shoulder. Five hugged her, the grin still plastered on his face.

"10 years."