ten. the commission

EDITED MAY 20, 2021

"Number One, a little to the left," Reginald instructed Luther. The boy immediately followed his father's request in fear of being scolded and moved Eight's photo a bit to the left.

It had been a few days after Ben had died. The children who lived in the house weren't on really good terms... it was like there was something separating them. Luther couldn't blame it on his siblings, though. They already had lost 2 siblings and now another one was gone. And like Five and Eight whose disappearances were still a mystery, Ben was gone. For good. They saw it with their own eyes.

The remaining children, Klaus, Diego, Allison and Vanya watched as their father put up paintings of Five and Eight above their living room. Five had a smug, confident look that was plastered on his face, a constant reminder of how his personality was. Eight had a soft and timid smile, but her eyes were showing a hint of confidence and smugness, much like how her personality was. A girl who was kind and caring but wouldn't think twice before shoving another person's head to the wall.

The children just looked in dismay as they saw everything that reminded them of their lost siblings. And now, three of them were gone. One wasn't coming back.

After that moment, it felt like they were nothing anymore. A bunch of 18-year-olds living on the same roof, nothing but strangers. Sleep. Missions. Train. Every single day seemed the same, and there was nothing to connect them anymore.

Months flew by, and Diego made the decision to move out of the house. Reginald didn't really care anymore, quoting that "You're all old enough to make your own decisions."

Soon, everyone heard about Diego's decision to leave. Then Vanya left. Then Allison. Then Klaus.

Until no one was left at the Academy but Number One.

-

15 YEARS AGO, APOCALYPTIC TIME.

Five grumbled as he tried to search an abandoned building he and Eight had found for food. Suddenly,  something sparkling caught Five's attention.

Making his way up to it, Eight went the other way, searching for any kind of food that she could find. They were both now 43, a few wrinkles appearing here and there. Her hair was cut short again after she had found a rusty old scissor on one of the houses they had lived on before.

Five took the sparkling object that caught his eye and realized what it was, a ring. An idea immediately formed up in his mind as he took the ring and started making his way up to Eight.

Eight suddenly jumped up as Five touched her shoulders, not expecting it at all. "What the hell, Five?!" she exclaimed, slapping Five on his shoulder. He groaned at the force, Eight may be 43 years old but she had never lost the fighting skills she had learned at the academy.

Recovering from the pain, Five knelt down on one leg and Eight stared in amusement, wondering what the man was up to again. "Eight, wanna be my wife?"

Eight let out a soft laugh at his blunt and straight-to-the-point proposal. "You know, when I was younger, I thought I would get proposed in Paris or something." Eight laughed. "And yes,"

Five started to chuckle and kissed Eight with all his might. Eight chuckled deeply into the kiss until she decided to pull away. "Wanna be my wife?" Eight mimicked in a lower voice.

"Well, let me rehearse that." Five said and cupped Eight's cheeks. "I love you so so much. I liked you since we were 12 and I appreciate you so much for sticking with me through thick and thin. You were always there for me, even if I was the person who dragged you to this mess. I love you so much. Will you marry me?" he asked, then going in to kiss Eight again.