six. nothing

EDITED MAY 20, 2021

Eight and Vanya sat together in the kitchen, the two girls not saying anything at all. There were dark rings under Eight's eyes due to the fact that she can't sleep ever since the incident, and Vanya noticed it too. She wanted to ask the girl why: but the thought of invading her privacy made her stop herself from doing it.

Eight looked down at the extra loaves and back at Vanya. The peanut butter and marshmallow sandwiches popped up in her mind once again: Maybe Vanya would like it too?

"I think you'll really love this Vanya, I discovered this a few days ago, Five liked it." Eight smiled and made the sandwich for Vanya. Vanya gave her a small, shy nod and ate the sandwich. As soon as she tasted it, it wasn't as good as she expected. Vanya didn't let it show, though. Since Eight was her only friend out of the people who lived with her, and Five was the only one who tolerated her.

"It's good," she smiled and forced to swallow the sandwich that was a little too much sweet.

"So how is it going with your violin lessons?" Eight asked, starting to make another sandwich of her own. She just finished one just a few minutes ago, but the girl couldn't really get enough of her creation.

"I, um.. mastered a new piece," Vanya said shyly, taking another bite out of the sandwich and forcefully swallowing it. It looked like Eight really enjoyed the sandwich, and she didn't want to offend her.

"Really? Can I hear it?" Eight questioned, smiling. She was really interested, since she had once heard Vanya play the violin, and she played it beautifully. Vanya perked up at her request. None of the people around her wanted to hear her play the violin, except for Grace. Nodding her head excitedly, she took Eight's hand, and they were now running towards her room.

However, when they reached Vanya's room, the bell suddenly rung, indicating that it was time for dinner. The excitement from Vanya's face fell, since Hargreeves didn't want anyone to be late for dinner, and there was always a punishment for whoever was.

"I'll listen to it after dinner, Vanya. I promise."

Vanya just gave a small, sad nod. Her excitement suddenly fell down.

-

Every time they had a meal, it wasn't fun. At all. They weren't allowed to talk, and the only sound that was heard was Hargreeves boring tapes playing. And It wasn't even music, it was just boring news reports and documentaries.

Eight walked to the dining room and stood in front of her chair, which was next to Ben and infront of Five. They all patiently waited for Hargreeves, until he strutted in the table in seconds, and commanded for all of them to sit down.

Eight looked down to stare at her food. She wasn't really feeling hungry. Although one of the good things about family meals was that Grace was an amazing cook.

Eight looked up to her front and saw a sight of Five looking distressed. The look on his face was one of those looks when he would get in trouble. Five never really was scared of anyone, including Reginald.

The girl just kept looking down at her plate, until a loud thud was heard that made the table shake. Eight looked up to the front to see that Five was gripping a knife that was jammed in the table.

"Number Five?" Reginald asked.

"I have a question," Five stated, glaring at the man that was on his left side.

"Knowledge is an admirable goal, but you know the rules. No talking during meal times. You are interrupting Herr Carlson." he said, not even directing his glance at Five.

"I want to time travel."

"No," Hargreeves stated in an emotionless tone. Just like always.

"But I'm ready!"

Eight sighed, this wasn't going to end well. She wanted to somehow make Five bail out of the idea of time traveling, but she couldn't. She was the one who convinced him to bring out the subject to Reginald. It would be hypocritical if she did so.

"I've been practicing my spacial jumps, just like you said!" Five continued and spacial jumped to the man's side as if trying to prove a point. "See!"

"A spacial jump is trival, when compared to the unknowns of time travel." Hargreeves replied. "One is like sliding along the ice, the other is akin to descending blindly into the depths of the freezing water and reappearing as an acorn." Hargreeves stated in a smug tone before taking a sip of his drink and gently placing it down on the table.

"Well, I don't get it." Five replied after a few seconds. It wasn't surprising that he didn't get it, none of the children did. Hargreeves always made things way more complicated than they needed to be. What could be explained in a few words turned into sentences.

"Hence the reason you are not ready," Hargreeves replied. There was a look on Five's face filled with pure hatred. The tension in the room was so thick, and it was evident that this would really end up badly.

Five glanced at Eight who just shook her head, she was worried about what Five will do next. She knew that once there was something on his mind, he would do anything to achieve his end.

"I'm not afraid," Five said.

"Fear isn't the issue. The effects it might have on your body. Even on your mind, are far too unpredictable. Now I forbid you to talk about this anymore!"

Five looked down at his feet, then back at Eight. He had a confident expression plastered on his face.

"If you do go time travel, bring me along."

"I will. I want to see if Ben grows taller."

The conversation played on repeat in Eight's head. Five turned away, walking up to the front door. There was absolutely no way that Eight was going to let Five go out there alone. She could barely go through a day without seeing him.

"Number Five!" Hargreeves yelled. "You have not been excused!"

Eight ran towards the door as Five was going out. "Number Eight!" she heard in the background, Hargreeves calling after them.

"Five!" Eight yelled as she pushed the gate open. Five suddenly smiled, he knew that Eight would come along.

"I knew you would come with me." he smiled, looking at her eyes. He grabbed her hand, as they stood facing each other.

"I wouldn't let you come by yourself."

Hand in hand, they kept on running. They jumped through a portal, and the weather turned sunny and warm. Everyone who was wearing jackets were now wearing shorts.

"I'm not ready, my ass." Five stated. Eight started laughing in pure joy as they jumped through another portal. This time, people were wearing coats and beanies. It was snowing.

They jumped again. Eight expected something like a drastic change in season or to see new establishments that weren't in there before. But when they jumped into that last portal, the two of them stood in shock, not processing what stood in front of them.

There was nothing, no plants, no houses, no cars. Nothing.

Absolutely nothing.