twelve. thirteen again

EDITED MAY 21, 2021

All their lives, the remaining Hargreeve siblings only thought of one thing. Where did Five and Eight end up? They always expected the two of them to come knocking back into their doors (some longer than the others), but as time went on, they were eventually forgotten. Just a single memory from their past: nothing else.

But here they were.

Of course, nobody had expected their missing siblings to suddenly appear out of nowhere. Eight stood up, brushing herself slightly from the ground. The impact of the fall had really hurt both of them.

"I'm going to go change," Eight mumbled, looking down at her suit. It was draped over her like a rage piece of cloth. Five nodded, ignoring his siblings' questioning looks and held her hand as he teleported her into her old room.

"Change into your old clothes, love." Five instructed as Eight went to go in her room. When he had shut the door, Eight look around, the familiar Psense of nostalgia washing over her.

Her room was clearly untouched except for the bedsheets. It was clean, with the small area not having any dust, but the things inside the room were in the exact same condition as before. There was a gun on her small table that was on her bedside and the lamp she owned was still placed. Opening the drawer, she saw the book that Ben gave her on their birthday. Looking over at her cream colored walls, the bottle of beer that was on her bigger table was spotted. Eight chuckled as she remembered the memory very clearly; Klaus came barging into her room that day, daring her to drink the beer. As she looked over to her mirror, she saw a picture of her and Five on a polaroid was stuck unto the mirror, then her and Klaus, then her and Ben.

Ben.

Eight stopped looking at her old belongings and went to walk towards her closet, searching for clothes. To her luck, all that was in her closet was her uniform. The girl had no choice but to wear it, since it was either that or pajamas.

A knock was heard on her door, so Eight opened it up. Five was standing in there, with the exact same uniform she was wearing.

As they made their way downstairs, Eight suddenly felt hungry as she saw their fridge. She hasn't eaten her favorite peanut butter marshmallow sandwich in a very long time. All of her loved ones were at the table, waiting for them and an explanation.

Eight walked right past her siblings as she went to get a cutting board. "What's the date? The exact date?" Five asked as Eight placed down for loaves of bread on the cutting board.

"The 24th." Vanya stated, eyeing both of her siblings up and down. "The 24th of what?" Eight asked, now speaking up. "Of March."

"Good." Eight muttered, slicing out the crusts out of the bread.

"So, are we going to talk about what had just happened?" the two ignored them and the siblings exchanged concerned looks. Their missing siblings were back and now they were 13 again. They had some questions. "It's been seventeen years!" Luther snapped, standing over the table towering over Five and Eight. Eight gave him an unfazed look, Luther is still the same.

"It's been a lot longer than that." Eight deadpanned and went to look up the cabinets, opening it using her mind. The peanut butter started floating in her direction. "Haven't missed that," Luther sighed. Five spacial jumped towards the same cabinet and went to pick up the marshmallows and handed them to Eight. "Or that," Luther added, sinking back to his chair.

"Where did you go?" Diego cut in. "The future, and it's shit, by the way." Five stated. Eight started to spread the peanut butter on the bread.

"Called it!" Klaus said, pointing his finger into the air. "I should have listened to the old man. You know jumping through space is one thing, jumping through time is a toss of a dice." Five said to no one in particular as he looked to Eight's direction. "I even managed to drag someone into my mess," he muttered.

Eight gave him a reassuring smile, then went up to look at her brother who sat at the center of the table. "Nice dress, Klaus." Eight commented, giving Five the other sandwich and situating herself onto her chair. "Oh well uh, danke!" Klaus said, tampering with the edge of the skirt that belonged to Allison.

"Wait, how did you both get back?" Vanya asked, ignoring the proud grin that Klaus wore on his face. "In the end, I had to project my consciousness forward into a suspended quantum state version of myself that exists across every possible instance of time." Five explained, taking a bite out of his sandwitch that Eight had prepared for him. He loved it.

"That makes no sense," Diego mumbled. "Well, it would if you're smarter." Five said, not even sparing a glance at his brother. Diego launched off the table and Eight quickly pushed him back into his seat using her mind, preventing him to attack Five. Diego snapped towards Eight's direction, but immediately softened as he saw her with a smudge of peanut butter on her face. His good old favorite sister.

"How long were you there?" Luther asked, snapping Diego out of his trance.

"45 years, give or take." Eight stated nonchalantly. The whole situation was overwhelming them.

"So you're saying... that you're 58?" Luther asked, unsure of his own question. "No. Our consciousness is 58, apparently, our bodies are 13 again." Five stated, taking a bite out of the sandwich.

"How is that even possible?" Allison questioned.

EIght started to laugh, the memories of her old friend popping up in her mind. "Dolores told us the equations were off. Bet she's laughing right now." Eight started to chuckle at herself.

"Dolores?" Vanya questioned, but received no answer. It reminded her so much of her childhood, for some reason.

"Guess we missed the funeral, then." Five commented, lifting the newspaper with Reginald's photo.

"How did you know about that?" Luther asked suspiciously, narrowing his eyes at the pair.

"What part of the future do you not understand?" Eight snapped in annoyance, not knowing why Luther was still being like this. He's an adult. Why was he still acting like they were 13?

"Heart failure, huh?" Five asked.

"Yeah."

"No."

"Nice to see that nothing has changed," Five sarcastically said before beginning to wander off.

"That's it? That's all you have to say?" Allison asked at her brother, annoyed. Five didn't reply, but proceeded to wander around the house.

All of their gazes were now on Eight. "Sister, a penny for your thoughts?" Klaus questioned, looking in her direction. Eight shuffled around nervously, not wanting that everyone's attention was now on her.

"Can I ask a question?" Eight asked, her voice breaking at the end.

"We are the ones who are supposed to be asking questions. You've both been missing for-"

"Shut up, Luther." Diego snapped, looking at Eight's direction. "What do you want to know, sis?"

Allison raised her eyes in confusion. The whole time that Diego was at the house, he was nothing but a prick. That was the kindest thing she had heard ever since Diego had come.

"Where—" Eight paused, regaining herself once more. "Where is his statue?"