twenty four. pills

EDITED AUGUST 18, 2021

Eight woke up, her head pounding. "Oh my god." she muttered, holding her head. When she stood up from the position she was once on, she was surprised to see Luther and Five talking amongst theirselves. When Five saw that she had woken up, he drew his attention from Luther back to her. "Love, drink this." he told her and handed out a pill and a glass of water. Eight nodded and drank the pill, and she felt her dry throat be refreshed by the cool water.

"What were you talking about?" Eight asked, taking the seat next to Five on Diego's bed. Five was about to reply when Diego came walking inside, banging the door on his way.

So much for a dramatic entrance.

Eight jumped in surprise, her sleepiness suddenly going away because of the loud sound. "Piece of shit!" Diego exclaimed, not seeming to care that he startled everyone in the room as he walked towards Eight and Five with an agitated look on his face.

"Do you have any idea what you both just did?!" Diego exclaimed, about to lounge on the two. The girl had seen him mad before, especially when they were kids, but this was just a whole lot of different. Diego was seething in anger.

Eight sat carefully beside Five, starting to wonder what had caused Diego to get mad so much that he had screamed at his favorite sibling. Another part of her was terrified of him, but she tried to remind herself that this was just Diego. No matter how angry or violent he got, it was just Diego.

He let out a grunt when Luther stood up, grabbing Diego using his huge arms. "Nope. let me-" Diego started, struggling to escape from Luther's grasp. "Get your ape hands off me!"

"I can do this as long as it takes you to calm down," Luther stated in a calm tone. Although she disliked Luther, Eight really admired how he could always stay so levelheaded and calm in situations like this.

Diego sighed in defeat, knowing that it was no use since Luther was too strong. "Fine." Diego panted, making Luther drop the man down.

"Now, wanna tell us what you're talkin' about?" Luther asked, looking over at his brother.

"Those two rascals have been pretty busy since they got back." Diego started, not tearing his gaze off the two. "They were in the middle of that shootout at Griddy's, and then at Gimble Brothers, after the guys in masks attacked the Academy, looking for them."

"None of which is any of your concern."

"It is now." Diego started panting. "They just killed my friend."

"Shit, Diego. I am so sorry." Eight stood up, looking at her brother. She was heartless and selfish, sure, but by the way Diego acted, she had the slightest idea that this person was not just a friend.

Diego sighed, and when he closed his eyes, he saw Eudora saying those exact same words to him after his mom had just died. Everything reminded him of her.

"Who are they?" Luther questioned both Eight and Five. "Who are they, Five?

"They work for our former employer." Five started. "A woman called The Handler. She sent them to stop us. Then, soon as Diego's friend got in their way, well, fair game."

"And now they're my fair game. And I'm gonna see to it they pay." Diego muttered, taking his things.

"Diego- wait." Eight needed to stop him. She knew the values Diego had, and she knew very well that if he went on with his plan of attempted murder, he would end up dead in a ditch somewhere.

Diego sighed and looked behind him, seeing Eight. In this instance, she jumped at a chance to go explain herself. "They've killed people far more dangerous than you."