one. welcome to the academy

EDITED MAY 17, 2021

Being born with extraordinary powers wasn't as amazing as everyone made it out to be. The badly drawn comics with a ridiculous plot that involves some sort of intergalactic force trying to destroy the universe? Wrong. A television show about kids who adjust to their powers while maintaining a good social life? Also wrong.

In the Umbrella Academy, each day felt like the same day. Unchanging. Breakfast. Training. Learning. Dinner. Sleep. Repeat. It was sick - each day, every single sibling was told that they had a greater purpose; but Eight was starting to believe that they were nothing at all. The girl believed that they were merely a penny laid down in a baseball field.

There were days when things would be slightly more exciting than the monotonous life they lived. Today was a prime example - a new mission to accomplish, coincidentally, the day that Reginald would reveal them to the world.

Eight Hargreeves stared at her room. It was quaint, cozy, and to put it simply, boring. The girl wanted her bedroom to have a splash of her personality (she once even thought about stealing Klaus' Queen poster to spice things up), but whenever she makes any kind of renovations, it would disappear the next day, much to her dismay.

The only thing that made the room stand out was the wall with bullet holes. That's it, everything else was boring.

As Eight was about to examine her wall further, her white, bedroom door was suddenly vibrating with the knocks. "Eight! Eight! Eight!"

Then in came Diego, his face laced with panic.

Eight knew that she should've expected him to suddenly enter her room since the boy had absolutely no respect for her privacy at all, but she jumped in surprise, the bang making her nervous.

"Jesus Christ, Diego." she mumbled, her heart rising as the loud bang echoed in her mind. The girl put an arm on her chest as she felt her heart beating way faster than it had been before. "You scared me!"

Surely, it must have been something important, right? If Diego was going to frighten her, it must be a matter of life and death since he was risking himself from getting thrown across the room, correct?

But no. Of course, it had to be about something stupid.

"Have you seen my knives?"

"Do I look like I know where your knives are, Diego?"

This always happened. Before a mission, Diego would always lose his knives, Alison would be missing her mask, and Ben would always be missing. There wasn't a single time wherein the children would be organized.

Five suddenly appeared in her room, holding a ton of knives. "It was in the kitchen, Diego. Again." the green eyed boy rolled his eyes, then disappearing.

It took a few more minutes until everyone calmed down and eased. Ben was found in the library, and thank God, was already in his full costume. Eight gave Allison her spare mask, which the other girl was thankful for.

When everyone was set, their mission was then explained to them. There was a robbing on a bank nearby, and there were hostages, including women and children. Eight thought that this was extremely boring for their first appearance to the public. However, she had no say in this.

The mission was to set the hostages free and fight the armed men. Reginald Hargreeves brought Vanya along, but they both kept a distance from the bank, watching the scene with telescopes. Eight thought he was being ridiculous, why would he bring Vanya along if he was only gonna make her feel useless as she watched the rest of them do the mission?