thirty eight. it could've been me

EDITED AUGUST 22, 2021

Running out of the car, Five, Diego, and Luther were met with Eight staring blankly at the floor that was in front of her. Diego gave Five a confused look before running up to the girl, a frantic look on his face. 

"Eight? Are you okay? What happened—" he was about to keep rambling on until Eight stood up with the chair scraping on the wooden floor. Luther followed after Eight as she walked inside, revealing Allison's body.

Luther started crying, as Five walked up to Eight, a look of worry covering his features. "Eight? Are you okay? Did he touch you?" Five asked, scanning the girl up and down. 

Eight didn't reply; instead, she was staring at Allison's still body. She was still in deep shock.

One moment she was in a heated argument with Vanya, and the next moment, Allison's throat was slashed and she was bleeding on the floor.

"Luther, if you stopped crying and brought Allison to the car a few minuets ago, the chance of saving her life will be bigger. Get your hairy ass up and let's go." Eight said in a blank tone, walking out of the door. Luther continued to sob as he carried Allison's body and placed it in the car that they brought.

There was hardly any space, making Eight decide that she would seat in the trunk since Allison needed to be in a free area.

Eight had been silent the whole ride home, despite the unending questions Luther and Diego had shot at her. Five would constantly plead for them to just shut up and let Eight breathe for a few minutes, making Diego realize that Eight had probably been through some shit and that she needed some time alone.

So that's what he had given her.

Luther, however, was still a crying mess. He kept on asking Eight questions which she left unanswered. Soon, the view of the Academy came and Eight hurriedly rushed herself out of the car.

"Come on, let's go!" she exclaimed, running inside the building. 

"Grace?!" she exclaimed, looking for the robotic mom. Grace came strutting in with a duster in hand as she looked over at Eight in confusion. 

"What is it, Eight?" she asked in her usual light tone. "Allison—"

She wasn't able to finish as Luther barged in the door, carrying Allison in hand. Grace's instincts were suddenly activated like a light switch was suddenly turned on. "Take her to the infirmary." Grace directed, walking to where they helped whoever got injured.

-

"She's suffered a severe laceration to her larynx. One of you will need to give blood." Grace instructed, holding Allison's neck as she had just identified the problem that needs to be solved. 

"I will." Eight, along with the rest of them said at the same time.

"I will. I'm doing it." Luther stated, about to remove his sleeve until Pogo touched his arms, stopping him from doing any more actions. "I'm afraid that's not possible, dear boy." Pogo let out a chuckle. "Your blood is more compatible with mine."

Grace was looking through her surgical tools as she was about to get the syringe for her to extract the blood. "Hey, don't sweat it. I I got this, big guy." Klaus stated, bringing his arm up to Grace. "I love needles."

"Master Klaus. Your blood is—" Pogo pondered for a moment, trying to think of the words that will fit in. "How shall I say this? Too polluted."

"Move," Diego mumbled, walking up to Grace with his sleeve already rolled up. "I'll do it," he stated in a confident tone. Pogo said nothing, as he was the healthiest of them all and it was a really good choice for his blood to be transmitted on Allison's. When Grace put out the giant syringe, however, Diego let out a whimper and fell to the ground.

Eight let out a quiet chuckle. "He kills bad people but he faints at the sight of a needle?" she questioned sarcastically as Luther stood Diego's body up. "Stick him." Pogo said with a huge smile on his features, amazed by the fact that Diego was still unconscious up to now.

-

"Hey love, are you okay?" Five asked Eight who sat on the sofa. "What happened to your eyes?" he questioned, staring at her irises that were a bright white. Eight shuddered, looking at her hands before gazing at Five once again. "I don't know what happened, back there."

"What?" Five asked, confused about what she was trying to say. 

"Her.. she took over my body again. I don't know why my eyes turned into this, but there's a possibility she can see my every move starting from yesterday," she mumbled. "And the world is about to end, and I don't know what to do anymore," she mumbled. "And I'm not even sure who did that to Allison. For all I know, it could have been me."

Luther tensed up when he heard those words escape Eight's mouth. He peeked towards Eight and Five who both sat on the sofa that was perched up in the middle of the giant living room, and left. Eight... was dangerous. She needed to be contained.

Five was about to say something until Diego shot the room open, entering in. 

"The bastard that nearly killed our sister's still out there, with Vanya. We need to go after her," he said in a rush, about to get all of his things. Five scoffed and stood up, walking over Diego. "Vanya is not important."

"Hey, that's your sister." Diego scolded. "A little heartless even for you, Five."

"I'm not saying I don't care about her, but if the apocalypse happens today, she dies along with the other seven billion of us. Harold Jenkins is our first priority." Five instructed. 

Diego was thinking for a minute until he decided that Five's plan was more valuable than his. "I agree. Let's go," 

"You guys count me out," Klaus spoke from the chair. "I mean, you know, no offense or whatever. It's just I kind of feel like this is a whole lot of pressure for newly-sober me, so - " he was about to lay down until Diego let out a scoff at how ridiculous Klaus was being. 

"You're coming." he persisted.

"No, no, no." Klaus shook his head. "I mean, I think we can all agree that my power's I mean, it's pretty much useless. I'd just be holding you guys back."

"Klaus, get up."

"You can't make me."

Diego sighed and threw a knife between Klaus' legs, only missing by a few centimeters. Klaus shrugged, standing up. "Oh, then again, a little exercise couldn't hurt."

Five looked towards Eight who still looked very traumatized. "Eight, stay here. I know you've been through a lot the past few days, and I think we can handle this on our own." he kissed her quickly on her forehead, before running out to follow Diego and Klaus who were about to follow Harold.