17. Mentoring? Bad idea. Nightlocks? Worse

Start from the beginning

"Let's go home" I murmer after a while. Newt took my hand in his and the both of us made our way out of the room, not bothering to notice the girl from 12, sleeping on a tree, far away from the careers.
_________________________________________

"(Y/N)! Come down here for a moment!" Finnick called out, gaining my attention from the book I was reading.

"Alright!" I replied, placing the book beside my bed. I rolled out of bed and ran down the stairs to see Finnick, sitting in front of the television, a bowl of chips in his lap. "Geez, why don't you make yourself at home?" I asked with sarcasm.

With a smirk in reply, he nodded towards the screen, where an intense fight between 3 tributes was going on. Nothing much was visible, with the arena being dark, but I could make out a girl aiming an arrow at two boys on top of the cornucopia, the bulkier one using the other as a human shield. She released the arrow, hitting the bulky boy in the back of him palm, who lost his grip on the other tribute and fell down where many dog like mutations attacked him. With a shot of an arrow and the blast of the cannon, the boy did not move anymore. The mutts ran away towards the forests and day light broke out.

That is when we could see the tributes clearly. More so their districts. 12. The new rule that was introduced on the 5th day of the games was that if the two tributes from the same district were the last ones standing, then they both win. So, for the first time, there would be two winners.

Suddenly, as though in perfect timing, an announcement rang through the air. "The previous rule that stated that there can be two victors if the tributes are from the same district, has been revoked. Only one can be crowned victor."

I frowned. The boy looked up at the girl with sad eyes. He murmured something but the girl quickly walked towards him while shaking her head.

The two of them seemed to have a heated conversation, the boy determined to win. Suddenly, the dark haired girl reached into her pockets and pulled out some berries, specifically nightlocks.

My eyes widened as she dropped some into the his palm, both of their hands trembling.

I could see her mouth move as she counted down.

3.

2.

1.

"STOP!" a voice shouted through the arena, moments before their lips touched the berries. They lowered their hands, and now in a much calmer voice, Seneca Crane spoke, "Ladies and gentlemen, the winners of the 74th annual hunger games, Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark!"

Peeta, the boy, let out a sigh of relief as Katniss hugged him. A hovercraft came to collect them. He held her hand and kissed the side of her head and the both of them climbed aboard and the craft left the arena. The screen went blank for a moment and the Capitol's symbol came up and the anthem was playing in the background.

I diverted my wide eyes to Finnick who looked at me with a sort of look that said 'what the hell is gonna happen now?'

"Finnick, tell me everything about Katniss Everdeen. Who she was and how she played the game right until she pulled those berries out."
_________________________________________

"The tributes from our district never mentioned anything about the ones from 12." I mumble.

"She apparently got 11 in her assessment scores." Newt said, who was pacing around the living room. Finnick meanwhile was fuming.

"She released an arrow at the Capitol." He said with gritted teeth. "And she expected to walk away freely? They are going to kill her entire family!"