Chapter 30

Bethany's POV

My entire world stopped and in the moment our lips collided, my body went numb. I'd never kissed anyone, and I didn't know how to react. I let instinct handle the moment, and held my lips against his. My heart began to race and my brain was working overtime. Harry's strong arms held my waist close to him, almost too tightly, but I didn't mind.

Although it was the last thing I wanted to do, we both pulled away from the kiss for a moment to breathe. His emerald eyes were glowing in a shade that I had never seen. Before I could process what was going on, he pushed me against the wall and pressed his lips against mine once again. I gasped at first, but then kissed back.

"Bethany," he whispered into my mouth, his eyes still shut. "Don't pretend with me."

I pressed my lips back to his to shut him up and instinctively wrapped my arms around his neck. He ran his arm up my spine causing me to shiver. My reaction to him made him smile into the kiss.

Suddenly, my phone began to ring, breaking us from the moment. With a sigh, I apologized and answered it. I didn't know the number, but answered anyway.

"Hello?"

"Who's this?" a rude woman asked me.

"This is Beth Davis. Who is this?"

"Can you please put your mother on the phone?"

"Would you rather me give you her number?"

"I called it and got no answer."

"Okay, just a second."

I told Harry to follow me and went downstairs to find my mother. My aunt, uncle, father, and mother had all moved into the kitchen and were laughing as they held their wine glasses.

No, my parents are not drunks. They were just a bit tipsy, and even that didn't happen often. It was a special occasion occurrence.

"Mom, where's your phone?" I asked her as I entered the room. Harry remained in the living room.

She pulled it from her pocket and hit a button. "Oh, it must've died, why?"

"Someone called me asking for you. Here." I handed her my phone. She excused herself and followed me into the living room. My father continued to make conversation with them.

Harry and I sat on the couch and she stood in the corner, talking. I was surprised she didn't ask why Harry was still here. I had already planned out how I would respond if he did.

"Harry was talking to me about Dan from support group and then we just got into a conversation and lost track of time."

I knew if I brought up the factor that Harry and I had in common, she would believe me out of pity toward the subject.

"What?" my mother said into the phone, a hand over her mouth. "Oh god." I saw tears form in her eyes and the color disappeared from her usually rosy cheeks.

I stood up, panic overtaking me.

"Are you going there?... Okay, I will." she spoke.

"Okay, goodbye." She hung up the phone and held it out to me with shaky hands. I approached her warily.

"Mom? What happened?"

She shook her head. "Liam." she choked out.

No.

No.

No.

What happened to him? Is he missing? Is he... dead?