NINETY NINE

a.n. // the gif has no correlation to the chapter i just had to use it xoxo

**

1 Year Later

Carrington Hill

The adrenaline rushed through me and made my hands and knees shake as Alex and I stood on the dance floor, highly anticipating the announcement of the first three places. I kind of zoned out, the loud cheers became very faint and my heartbeat thumped in my ears. This wasn't my first competition back since everything happened yet I still felt extremely nervous.

"And in the first place... please welcome Alexander Greenwood and Carrington Hill to the stage!" the lady spoke into the microphone and I barely even realised my partner already dragged me half way across the dance floor. "Congratulations to the pair from England! This is another victory added to the list of their many firsts!"

Alex twirled me around at least five times as we bowed down in each direction and I tried my best not to get dizzy. The massive grin that homed on my face only ever seemed to be there anymore when I was on stage. Dancing made me happy and it felt great, the music through my ears and the moves in my feet were all I needed to be content in life.

Once we found it to be enough to flaunt ourselves, he offered his arm to me and I linked mine through it. He walked me over to the last person in the line and we began to congratulate them all quickly. I always felt really disrespectful when I didn't do that – I knew Alex did too – and so it was important for us to always shake hands with the finalists, no matter what position we got.

We walked behind everyone to get on the step that was labelled with a massive 1 and Alex helped me up as he held my hand and placed the other one on my waist. When I was up, he stepped up behind me and kept his hand on my waist.

"Fuck," he mumbled in my ear and I chuckled as I grabbed his hand to make sure he didn't fall off.

We were congratulated again as we received our medals, trophies and goodie bags then the usual national anthem of the winner – us, in this case – was played. Photos were taken too and then we could finally get off of the podium.

"I don't think the lady in red was happy about coming second," Alex bitched to me as they left the stage and he still sat on the top. I laughed and pushed him a little at his shoulder as I peeped inside the goodie bag.

"I love getting shirts!" I exclaimed as I spotted a navy coloured t-shirt, probably a size XL which was great for sleeping. Competitions often gave out shirts in goodie bags, most of the time with the logo of the organisation that threw it.

"Who cares about your shirt? That bitch would have burned me to ashes with her ugly blue eyes if she had the powers!"

"You need to get laid, pal," I shook my head. "Now, let's go. I can barely feel my feet after today. They are literally pulsating."

"Dammit, you are no fun, Carrington-marrington."

"I told you to quit calling me that," I groaned. "Can we get a burger or something?"

"Ugh, you want to go to that animal style place again?" he asked me with disgust in his voice. We were almost at the dressing rooms where our stuff were. "I swear that's all you want to eat."

"Yeah, well, we don't have them at home and the animal style chips-,"

"Fries."

"-are fucking peng so excuse me if I want to eat as much as I can before I can't."

"What is that supposed to mean?" he asked as we stopped outside the two doors. "You thinking of moving back home?"

"Eh," I shrugged. "That's a conversation for later."