Chapter 33: Two weeks

Kelsey

Are you sure you don't want me to come over?

I read the text two more times before I began typing a response. Avoiding Liam for the past few days had been both very hard and difficult. I needed clearance before talking to him. I needed to know if the baby was okay.

Yeah, I'll be okay. I'll stay with Lydia.

It was the perfect excuse. After we rescued Lydia from Eichen, the most expected thing would be for her sister to want and spend time together. I sent the message and looked up to the two older teens waiting for me to finish.

"Are you done?" Lydia asked me while extending her hand, wanting me to hand her the phone. I nodded answering her question and gave her my phone since I wasn't going to need it for the next minutes.

The truth is, the very next day after getting out of Eichen, Lydia bumped into my bag and spilt everything that was inside of it. Including the pregnancy test. She came right to confront me after she found it and I told her everything I knew as well as everything I didn't know. We both knew we had to reach out to someone for help.

"You made sure he isn't coming, right?" Scott's voice interrupted my thoughts, making me turn to him. I nodded again. Telling Scott was almost inevitable. He was our alpha and he already knew something was off with my scent. He was also perceiving the foetus' scent. Lydia called him in after she found out and after also telling his mother, she agreed to check it out at the hospital.

In fact, she came into the room with the last piece of equipment she needed. "Okay, everything's ready." She took a transparent cream and spread it in her hands to warm it up. "Lift up your shirt."

I did as she told me, lifting up my shirt up to my diaphragm and revealing my stomach, which I noticed was slightly sticking out. She covered me with the transparent cream, which was still cold as heck, and began the sonography.

"Is it okay?" Lydia asked as she looked at the screen showing my insides. I couldn't see anything, I tried to, but it was really hard for me to find anything in the picture before me.

"I'm trying to find the heartbeat." Melissa said and the room fell in silence. We were all expecting for a beat that indicated that the baby was still alive. A few seconds passed, but it almost felt like an eternity. Finally, we heard a beat and everyone sighed relieved. "Okay, we found it. But it's really slow."

"That's probably why we didn't notice it." Scott added.

Melissa looked at the screen bewildered. "How many weeks are you?"

I tried to do the math and give an approximate guess. "I think it's 2 weeks."

"The foetus looks way more developed."

"Werewolves pregnancies are quicker." Lydia said. "The babies develop at a faster pace."

"Alright." Said Scott's mom turning out the screen and giving me a tissue to clean myself. She began to tidy up everything. "The baby looks fine."

"Thanks, Melissa." I told her before she left the room to return the equipment to its original place.

It was then when Scott received a text message. His expression changed radically and his look alternated between Lydia and me before telling us. "I gotta go, Parrish is on the move."

Lydia was faster than me in replying. "We're staying here." Scott nodded, agreeing with the decision she had taken for both of us. I stood silent, knowing it was the best option. After the Eichen incident and this little fright, I didn't think it was best for me to accompany Scott to many missions.

When Lydia cut off my thoughts, Scott had already left. "Are you going to tell Liam?"

"I guess I have to." I said, hesitant. I knew I had to, I just didn't know when the right time was going to be. I looked at my sister, who was looking down, looking thoughtful. "Thank you." I suddenly said. She looked at me confused. I decided to explain myself. "For not getting mad at me."

"Oh, no, Kels." She said. "I am mad." My eyes widened. "But I know that's not what we need right now. We need to stick together and support each other. Otherwise, we won't make it."

And she was right. We needed to stick together.

"Mason said it's not just to transmit frequency." Liam explained everything he had been told as we sat around him in the library. "It's high powered. Like it has to be a really strong signal." We were trying to discuss what we were going to do with tonight's match when it was most likely for an attack to happen.

"And that's causing it to shift?" Lydia asked. She finally made it back to school. Both of us came back. I actually would have preferred to stay at home a few more days, since the nausea wasn't getting better. But I couldn't hide forever and I didn't want to give Liam one more reason to worry about me.

"No, I don't think it's just that." Scott added. "Last night Argent said that it's getting smarter." What if the Dread Doctors are trying to make the Beast grow faster?"

Stiles didn't think that made very sense. "With frequencies?"

"No, by shifting. The frequency is just the trigger." Scott explained. "The important part is when it shifts into the werewolf."

"Like Peter." I said, recalling what happened to him.

"Right." Our alpha continued. "Yeah, when Peter was an Alpha, he got stronger every full moon. Eventually, the burns healed and he was back to normal."

"So the Dread Doctors don't want to wait for the full moon." Liam reasoned.

"They want the Beast to be as strong as possible, as fast as possible. Because of Parrish."

I decided to cut in again, worried for tonight's charity match. "So if this is happening tonight, what are we going to do?"

"Uh, we've got one clue to go on. This came from the hospital." Stiles placed a picture of a footprint on the table. "Whoever's lurking inside the Beast is wearing a size 10 of indeterminate make."

"Indeterminate?" I asked, not fully understanding.

"Means, it's a partial print." He explained. "Basically, it was all we were able to get considering all the fire, blood and carnage."

"How many size 10s are out there?"

Stiles didn't think twice about his answer. "Only one with Parrish's blood on the sole."

"So are we going to try to get the game cancelled?"

Stiles didn't think so. "No, no, we're going to play, but we're just going to hope really hard that it doesn't turn into a blood-soaked massacre."

"Okay, but, um..." Started Liam again. "Aren't we kind of missing out on a chance to catch this thing? We don't have the who, but we have the where and the when."

"There's too many people. And we still don't actually know if it's going to happen. It just might end up being a regular lacrosse game. It's possible, right?" Lydia asked and Stiles was the one to respond to her, not very confident.

"That's absolutely possible."

All of us stood silent, thinking about that possibility. And we all knew what that possibility lead to.

"So we're still getting the game cancelled?"

"We're getting the game cancelled."