Chapter 26: Lab 'Buddies'

Kelsey

"Co-dominance, a relationship among alleles where both alleles contribute to the phenotype of the heterozygote." Quite a mouthful, I know, but it's exactly what we'll be learning in today's lab." Our biology teacher explained to us once we were all sat in place.

I was sitting next to Liam and being so close to him but not being able to talk to him was getting in my nerves. I hadn't had time to tell him what happened with Theo in the hallway before. I still couldn't tell him now because Hayden was in this class with us and I was afraid she was going to listen.

My bag was on the table and it was open so I could get to the bag of chips I had inside. I was snaking as the teacher talked since I already knew about this subject. Also, I was hungry.

"Students in the first and third row," She looked at the third row, where I was, and caught me eating. The look she gave me warned me enough and I stopped. Then, she continued. "Look behind you." I turned around to face the person behind me and automatically turned back. This wasn't happening. "These are your partners."

Hell no I was going to be Hayden's partner.

-

"Remember that in co-dominance, neither allele is recessive." The teacher talked as she handed us the paper sheet with our task. I didn't look anywhere further than the edge of the paper I now had in front of me. I didn't want to look at Hayden or at anyone. "The phenotypes of both alleles are expressed." The teacher kept explaining. "In human blood, what is a good example of co-dominance?"

"Type AB." I spoke, not very enthusiastically. I couldn't believe this was actually happening. Out of all the people in this class I had to work with... her.

"Very good." The teacher said to me and then kept talking to the rest of the class. "So today you're going to solve a little mystery. Two couples had babies on the same day in the same hospital. Were the babies switched? Open your packets and read the instructions."

Even though I could perfectly skip reading the instructions, I did as I was told, so I wouldn't need to talk to Hayden.

But she didn't think the same.

"Gonna talk to me?" She asked me and I didn't bothered looking at her.

"I'm reading the instructions."

"You don't need to read them, we both know that." She placed her hand on the paper, blocking the text I was pretending to read. "You know what I mean." She wanted me to look at her, I knew it. If I did then she could confirm what I felt through my eyes.

"You mean how you're hanging out with a total psycho that tried to get me and my boyfriend to kill Scott and then did it himself?" I, finally looked at her, but I didn't let my eyes betray me. Something I said hurt her. A small smirk formed in my face. I turned back to the paper as I finished talking. "No, I didn't intend to talk about that."

"That total psycho brought me back to life and he's not afraid to take yours. Remember that?" My heart skipped a beat and she heard it. Now she was the one smirking. "I'm not dying again."

"You're not the only one who has come from the death." I spitted as I answered the questions in the paper sheet. "I'm not dying again either."

"Why? Because Scott's gonna save you?" The rage was building up inside me, but I controlled myself. "He doesn't even know what's coming."

What did she mean? What was coming?

"I don't care what's coming." I blurted out trying to cover my confusion.

"You will care. And you will regret." I felt the anger coming out of her too. "You and Liam." That made me look at her confused. Liam? What had he done?

"Wha- " I tried to talk but I was interrupted by our teacher.

"Seems to be a lot of discussion over here." She said and we both looked at her. "Can't imagine you've already solved the mystery, have you?"

I looked at Hayden pissed of and organized my papers. I stretched my arm handing my finished task and the lady stood speechless. A few seconds passed until she finally took it. Hayden looked at me surprised, and furious at the same time.

"Yes." I answered the teacher's question as I grabbed my bag and stood up. I was done here. I could leave since I had finished what we were supposed to do for the period.

I left the classroom, but before I walked out I spotted Liam from the corner of my eye. I knew he had been listening to us the whole time. Once I was outside the room, I stopped in the middle of the empty hallway and spoke hoping Liam would listen.

"We need to talk."

_

I couldn't find Liam. It was our free period now and I was scared he had left the building. The only place I hadn't looked was the library, after checking it up; I didn't know what I was going to do.

I entered the library and, indeed, he was there. I started my way towards him at a fast pace, but slowed down once I saw he looked a little off. I knew how he felt about Theo so maybe I should just wait to tell Liam about my encounter with him.

"What are you doing?" I obviously caught him off guards since he was surprised when I talked.

"Trying not to get involved."

"Does that include me?" I asked him as I sat next to him.

"Maybe." He didn't look at me but at his hands resting on his knees. I interlocked fingers with his left hand to catch his attention. "You wanted to talk?"

"No, it's okay, it can wait."

He just nodded.

"I know how you look up to Scott and I know him." I broke the silence that had formed between us. "He cares about you too much. He will forgive you."

"I feel like I failed him." He looked at me with sadness in his eyes. "Like I failed you all."

That made me remember what I heard in the woods the day we were looking for the Nemeton. Hayden's 'death' made him remember how he couldn't save me back in Mexico. But it wasn't his fault. He just couldn't get that into his head.

"You could never fail me. You're showing me that right now." I started and he looked at me surprised. "Everyone close to me is gone." Unconsciously, we were slowly closing the gap between us. "Everyone except for you." My tone had lowered so much I was now whispering. "You haven't failed me, actually, I don't think I would be here if it wasn't for you."

By the time I had finished talking, our faces were just inches apart. He scanned my eyes, my factions. He closed his eyes and so I did to, waiting for our lips to finally collide. We kissed, our hands still intertwined and our lips moving in synchronization. I wanted him to know how much I loved him. How much I cared about him. How much he meant to me. Even though we had already shown each other our feelings a few nights ago, I didn't think he truly believed it.

We pulled apart, breathless, not caring if people stared. His eyes were trying to tell me what his mouth couldn't, but I just couldn't get what it was. I was about to ask him when our phones stopped me. We both had received a message.

From Mason.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

And that was the second part :)

Kelsey and Hayden reencounter OMG!!!!

I hope you liked it guys :) lots of things are going to happen...

Kelsey's outfit for this chapter: http://www.polyvore.com/watch_your_pack_25/set?id=188553996#fans

Please vote/comment if you enjoyed reading this as much as I enjoyed writing it :)

I'll update next week guys!!

Byee > Alba