Chapter 24: Aftertaste

Liam

"I went to the club looking for Hayden, and there's Josh. Standing there. Completely alive. Just like Hayden." I explained Mason as we walked down the school corridors. "Because of Theo. "

"Theo brought them both back." Mason basically talked to himself trying to understand. I nodded. "That's what he's doing. He's building a pack. His own pack of dead Chimeras."

"They both looked pretty alive to me. But they're not the same." I told him as we stopped walking. "There was something about Hayden. There's something wrong about her."

He didn't answer and he was looking at me in not a completely good way. Even though I hadn't told him, he knew how I felt and what I was thinking. And both of us knew it was wrong.

"Just..." He sighed. "Have you told Kelsey about the chimeras?" He replaced Hayden with the chimeras, because he didn't want to go there again. And I didn't want either, but I just couldn't help it.

He read my mind, as I didn't answer. But he let it go.

"Maybe that's what dying does to you." He went back to our conversation about the chimeras. "What if it, what if it like darkens your soul? What if they're all evil now?"

"Hey, guys!" The school entrance doors suddenly opened. A male figure was coming towards us. It was Corey. Another of Theo's chimeras. "Are you volunteering for the library clean-up, too?"

"Yeah." I answered without thinking but that actually worked.

"Yes." Mason nodded too and Corey smiled at us, passing by us and making his way to the library.

Before I could turn around to follow Corey, Mason stopped me.

"Call Kelsey and tell her to come." He ran next to Corey and left me behind, with my hand sliding into my pocket to take my phone out.

Kelsey

"So, you don't know anything about Lydia?"

Liam says to end with the silence as I piled up another set of books. Mason's heart started beating faster and looked at Liam with wide incredulous eyes. I could feel Liam's heart to skip a beat as he realized what he had said, but I just stayed there amused.

"It's okay." I smiled shaking my head. "I don't know anything yet." I decided to not tell them about my mom ignoring me and how I spent last night. I didn't want to alarm them.

Liam nodded and focused on tiding up the books again. I noticed Mason staring at something – or someone – on the other side of the library. He realized I was looking at him and tries to play it off.

"Go and talk to him." I encouraged him to go and he nodded before looking at Liam and then to the boy again.

So... You're alive.

What?

I looked at Liam, confused. What did he mean? Who was alive?

Yeah.

I turn to see the guy Mason was talking to. It was Corey. I though he had died. He had died. He was a chimera and the dread doctors killed him. How was this possible?

"Kelsey..." Liam seemed to know what I was thinking. I didn't understand anything. I felt dizzy and nauseous and I-

"I think I'm going to throw up."

I started to walk, making my way out of the library. Then I started to run, felling how the food was about to come out of me, even though I hadn't eaten anything. I arrived to the restroom and threw up in a toilet. As I expected, there was no food. Just clear and acid fluids.