Chapter 29: A stripe and a half

Kelsey

I grabbed the doorknob and I stood paralyzed before Lydia's door. I don't remember the last time I was in her room. It seemed like forever, though. I had doubted if it was a good idea to come home, but mom wasn't home and I had to take advantage of that, otherwise I wouldn't be able to get inside. My initial thought and intention was to pick up some clean clothes and some other personal objects, but once I walked by Lydia's room, I couldn't help but want to go inside.

I took a deep breath and opened the door. Her scent immediately hit me like a blast of cold air. Everything was in place. All her things, her jewelry, her clothes... If I actually thought this would help me in any way, I hadn't been more mistaken in my life. This didn't make me feel better; this just made me miss her even more.

I walked inside, making my way to her bed and sitting on the edge of it, next to her nightstand. She had a framed photograph of both of us in the little cupboard next to her bed. I remember she used to have another picture in that frame before that one. She had one with Jackson and she kept it until he leaved. I recall she decided to change it for one of us because she said I would never leave her. I feel the urge to cry, but I fight my best to resist it. We were all together now, and we were getting her back. I promised myself I would get her out of Eichen House no matter what, and now that the pack reunited everything would get better. She was not going to stay there any longer.

My attention focused back on her nightstand and to the drawers under it. I wonder if she still kept Jackson's picture. I know it wasn't right, but I opened the drawer. I felt a bit disappointed when I couldn't find the picture; instead, I just found a few medication bottles like pills to sleep and painkillers. I was about to close it and leave when I noticed something else on the back of the drawer. A box of pregnancy tests.

I stared at it, confused. I was confused because when I saw it I felt like I had to take one. I mean, it couldn't be, could it? It was true that I had been feeling dizzy and sick lately and I was a bit late on my period, but it could be just a coincidence. I didn't always get my period in time. No, it couldn't be that. It was just one time. Besides, we used a condom.

Right?

I grabbed the box and quickly walked towards Lydia's bathroom after closing the drawer. And to clarify, I was just taking the test to get the annoying unnecessary doubt out of my head. I closed the bathroom door behind me and sat on the toilet to read the instructions written on the back of the box. They were simple. Pee on the stick, wait five minutes and see the result. One stripe, false alarm, two stripes alarm.

I did as the box told me. I went to my room and got everything I needed in a backpack while I waited for he five minutes to pass. Right after I had finished setting everything, the timer I had set in my phone ringed and I went back to Lydia's bathroom. I picked up the test and frowned at the result.

A stripe and a half.

What the hell does that mean? The worst thing was that the second line was showing and drawing completely as I watch, like it was laughing at me. I looked at the test incredulous. How could this even happen? I mean, I know how it happened, but the chances of getting pregnant the first time are minimal. Ugh, God... What am I going to do? I couldn't have a baby, I was not ready. And how was I going to tell Liam? How was I going to tell anyone? The only one I would be able to tell this kind of thing was Lydia. How convenient, God... And was the baby going to be a werewolf? Is werewolf pregnancy different that human pregnancy? Why did this happen to me?

I could have spent the whole week, month and pregnancy time questioning myself, but I heard someone coming through the main entrance of the house. Foreseeing my mother would kick me out; I overtook and decided to escape before she saw me. Clumsily, I grabbed the pregnancy test and kept in the backpack. I closed the bathroom door and jumped out the window. Luckily, I remembered to bend my knees and had a nice landing. That made me question myself again. Would it hurt the baby if I had an accident? I was definitely doing some research about it later, now I needed to run out of there.