Chapter 25: Lex Talionis

Liam

I was doing the exact opposite.

"Hayden..." I said pulling away from the kiss I just gave her. "I-I... I just can't do this."

"Do what?" The smile that was on her face faded away and was replaced with confusion.

"Do this..." I said looking down. I needed to tell her what I felt even if it hurt. "Do this to Kelsey."

And as I expected, she looked at me hurt and let go of me. But her face quickly changed expression, hiding her damaged feelings.

"Yeah, sure..."

"Hayden, please, don't hate me." I stepped closer to her again, not wanting her to leave without explaining myself. "Understand, I love her and I don't want to hurt her."

"I don't hate you." She simply said, without looking at me. "And I understand."

She clearly had something else to say but decided to keep it in. I just nodded, not knowing if I should regret all of this.

She left. She didn't look back or said anything else. She just left me alone, feeling guilty and miserable.

-

"They're alive." I blurted out the moment Scott came into the room. I was really nervous. I didn't know what was going to happen. "I mean the Chimeras." I specified as I saw he didn't answer. "Some of them, not all of them."

"I know."

"Oh, you do?" I asked as surprised as he was to see me.

"Yeah." He nodded and looked down to the bag he was holding. "I'm sorry, I can't talk right now, Liam."

"It was Theo." I let out again, trying to make him stay. "He's the one who brought them back, and now they're with him. Like they're his pack."

"I know." He simply replied again and I started worrying this conversation wasn't going anywhere.

"Kelsey is back to normal." I felt bad I had to bring her up so Scott would talk to me.

"She's okay?"

"She's alive." I stated. "I'm not sure she's totally okay, but she's definitely alive."

"That's good."

"Where are you guys going?" I asked him once he tried to leave again.

"To get Kira." He told me. "Her dad told us that her mom took her out to New Mexico, to this place called Shiprock. They're trying to figure out a way to help her, but it's dangerous. So we're gonna go find her and bring her back."

"I'll come with you." I offered.

"No, you can't."

"Let me help." I requested. I couldn't stay here without doing anything. "Let me do something. Just tell me what I can do."

"Don't do anything." With that, the person I looked up to left me.

Everyone was leaving me. I knew Kelsey was going to find out about my encounter with Hayden and eventually Mason was going to get tired of me.

Maybe it was true.

Maybe it was better if I didn't do anything.

Kelsey

"Where are you staying?" Mason asked me as we walked down the school hallway.