chapter 64

Chapter 64

Biting my lips, we walked through the doors to the airport, Louis' hand held firmly in mine. A crowd of screaming girls yelled at them, calling out their names, singing their songs and waving banners in the air. I felt Louis' hand tighten around mine, for my benefit more than his. He knew I didn't like being in huge crowds although I'd learnt to get used to it when going out with Louis. They seemed to follow him everywhere.

We followed the heads of the security guards in front of us as they made their way through the airport to check in. The pitch of screaming increased when Zayn waved at them all as he walked and so did Harry.

Eventually we reached the check in desk, I stood back as the boys, Rose, Spence and Bo check their bags in. It happened quickly as the staff opened up new counters especially for them. I chatted with Perrie, who had already checked in, until Louis came back.

'They're going to go through to the departure lounge. If you say bye to them first we can have a few minutes alone.' He said smiling, even though his eyes looked sad.

Before I could answer him they all came up to us. It seemed they had the same idea. 'Good luck with your new job, Aria.' Liam said pulling me into a hug.

'Yeah, don't get too lonely without us.' Niall said and gave me a hug.

'It's going to be very very quiet without you all.'

'I can't believe you can't come.' Spencer said, pulling me into a hug. I thought she was about to cry.

'I know. Me too, but it's only for a couple of months. It'll fly by.' I tried smiling to reassure her, but the corners of my mouth twitched as thought I were about to cry, so I had to look away.

The rest of the goodbyes happened in a blur. Bo hugged me, promising she'd send weekly emails with lots of photos. Harry promised he'd look after Louis, which was a worrying thought seeing as everything they got up to was a health risk. Rose was last and she gave me the biggest hug.

They all walked off together, Niall comforting Spence who'd finally started crying once I'd said goodbye to Rose, Harry strolled off with his arm wrapped around Bo's shoulder and Zayn met up with Perrie and they walked together.

'I'm going to miss you so much!' Louis said to me quietly. He pulled me over to a corner where the fans couldn't see us.

'I'm going to miss you too.' I said, taking his hand in mine as tears started to stream down my face. 'Promise me you'll ring me when you get a free minute.'

'I promise and please, please ring me after your first day. I want to know everything about it.' He kissed my hand and then let go so he could lift my face up by my chin so my eyes met his.

'I will. Look after yourself.'

'You too.' He pulled my face towards his and kissed me. It was the greatest goodbye kiss you could ever imagine. I didn't want to let go. We obviously weren't as well hidden as we thought as a chorus of 'AWWWWWW's' surrounded us. The fans had seen.

We broke apart, too soon for my liking. He rested his forehead against mine and gazed into my eyes. 'I love you.' He whispered and wiped away a few stray tears.

'I love you.' I kissed him on the nose before placing my hands on his chest. I took a deep breath. 'You should go. I'll start crying again if you stay any longer, and you know I don't look good crying.' I tried to laugh.

'You're beautiful regardless, but okay.' He said reluctantly

'You'll ring me when you land?'

'I'll ring you every time we land. Every moment not spent doing something with the boys, will be spent on the phone with you.'

'Good. Have fun! I love you so much. You'll be amazing on that stage.'

He started to walk backwards away from me. 'Thanks.' He grinned. 'See you in a few weeks baby.' With one last wave he turned around and headed around the corner with Paul following close behind and suddenly out of sight.

When I got into the mini bus that had driven us all to the airport I allowed myself to start crying again. It was so quiet; a complete contrast to what it was like on the way there. Zayn was snoring, Niall wasn't eating, Harry wasn't joking with Liam and Louis, and I wasn't chatting with the girls. My right hand felt empty without Louis holding it.

A beep from inside my pocket made me jump. I looked at the message that had interrupted the silence, it was Louis.

'I forgot to say good luck. How could I forget? You'll be great. I love you xx'

I wriggled my thumbs as I thought about what to type in return. Eventually I decided.

'Thank you. It's because you're so excited ;) I love you xx'

I pressed send, locked my phone and slid it back into my pocket. I looked out of the window for the first time since getting into the bus we were outside the apartment already. I sighed as I thought of the empty home that awaited me. Swallowing the lump in my throat I stepped out of the car, thanked the driver and headed inside.

This was going to be a slow two months.