023: Moratorium

Moratorium:

Noun.
An indefinite waiting period.

☁☂

Kem sat in his desk and reread the words written on the paper in front of him. He was anxiously waiting for the bell to ring. And when it did, he would walk to the host club room with Tamaki and Kyoya. In the host club, he'd see the twins again. Kem hadn't seen them all day, and he was somewhat excited to speak to them again. As much as he hates to admit it, he completely understood why he felt this way. So when the bell finally rang, he instantly packed his things back into his backpack.

Tamaki stood by Kem's desk with the small smile he normally wore. A few of the other students greeted him as he waited for the brunette. Kem flung his backpack over his shoulder and began walking towards the door with the other two second-year hosts. Kem shoved his hands into his pockets. He walked in silence and listened to the talkative blonde. 

"I wonder if we can get tickets. I know they're probably going to be really hard to get, but we have money so we probably can get them," Tamaki thought out loud. "Are you sure you don't want to come with us, Kem?"

"Positive," Kem answered with a sigh. He was beginning to get tired of having to hear Tamaki rant, but Kem refused to ask Tamaki to stop. He didn't want to hurt his feelings. The three hosts entered the club room and Kem went straight towards Haruhi. 

"Hey, Nii-san," she greeted with a soft smile. "The twins were asking about you during class today. They almost stayed in class with me to wait for you during lunch, but they were both hungry." 

"Did they mention anything about what they wanted to say?" Kem asked. His eyebrows furrowed. He knew exactly why the twins wanted to talk to him about. 

"No," Haruhi answered. She paused for a second and watched her older brother with a scrutinizing stare. "Why? Did something happen that you're not telling me about?" 

"Haru," Kem paused and sighed slightly. "Yeah, there's something. Hikaru came to my room yesterday, and... we talked." Haruhi raised her brows and waited for him to continue. "He asked me if I had feelings for Kaoru, I deflected the question, then I pointed out that he's very dependent on Kaoru, and he has to realize that they can't live their whole lives like that." 

"Wait, Hikaru asked you if you had feelings for Kaoru?" Haruhi questioned with an incredulous look on her face. "What did you say?" Kem began thinking about that moment for a second before explaining what happened. 

"Do you have feelings for my brother?" Hikaru asked in a soft yet stern voice. Kem sat there for a moment. 

"That shouldn't matter," the older of the two answered. A frown etched itself onto Kem's expression. "It shouldn't matter because he shouldn't like someone like me." 

Hikaru took this response as "he shouldn't like me because I'm a commoner", but that's not what Kem meant at all. Kemuri believed that without trust, a strong relationship can't and shouldn't be formed. He believed the elements in every good relationship were trust and communication. With the countless secrets he's kept and lies he's told, Kem decided he shouldn't get too involved. 

"Look, Hikaru, I know I'm basically saying no. None of it is Kaoru's fault. I just think I shouldn't be dating anyone at the moment," Kem added. He kept his eyes turned away from Hikaru

"Right, okay," Hikaru mumbled and left the room without saying another word. 

Haruhi had a look of sympathy on her face. "You do like him, don't you?" She spoke softly. Haruhi set her hand on her brother's shoulder. 

"I can't get too involved with him, Haru. Not until he knows who I am," Kem answered. "Of course, that would affect our entire relationship and possibly change his feelings for me completely." 

"Didn't you want to quit hiding and show everyone who you really are?" Haruhi asked stared at her older brother with a confused face. 

"I do," Kem agreed. "I'm meeting with Soseki later today, and I'm going to ask him his opinion about it." The two siblings were silent for a second. Kemuri was about to speak again, but he was interrupted by the twins. 

"Muri-kun, can we talk to you in private?" Hikaru and Kaoru spoke in unison. Kem's eyes didn't meet theirs. He pressed his lips into a thin line and thought for a second. 

"Uh, maybe later," he responded and walked away from twins. Kem shoved his hands into his pockets and went towards the other two second-years. 

"Maybe... maybe you guys should just leave him alone for a bit," Haruhi suggested. She scratched the back of her neck awkwardly. 

"Why?" Kaoru raised a single eyebrow. The brothers stared at her intensely. "What do you know?" 

"Well, um, everything," Haruhi answered. "Kem just isn't ready to date right now. Maybe you should just give a few more days before bringing the subject up again. Don't worry, Kaoru. I'm sure my brother does like you back," she added. Haruhi patted his shoulder comfortingly for a second then turned away.  

Kem stood beside Tamaki and Kyoya. "Are you doing anything after school, Kem?"

"Not that I know of. I might stay home and study or go to my best friend's house to study with him," Kem answered with a shrug. "Why are you asking? You're not going to ask me to hang out with you, right? We just spent the whole weekend together."

"No, I was just curious. I think my dad is taking me to one of his business meetings," Tamaki groaned slightly. 

"Ha, yeah. I know how much meetings suck," Kem answered and chuckled slightly. "I did have to meet with your dad a few times when I was just enrolling in this school." Tamaki groaned again, and Kem rolled his eyes playfully.

"Anyway, I'm so proud of you, Kem! You've been getting a lot of requests," Tamaki spoke excitedly. "I guess I really did teach you how to be such a good host."

"Haha, yeah," the brunette muttered back in a monotone voice.

"Or Kemuri is just charismatic and  naturally good at talking to the ladies," Kyoya cut it while adjusting his glasses. Tamaki gasped a bit offended and pressed his eyebrows together.

"Yeah, I suppose," the blonde muttered deafeatedly.

"It was nice talking to you, Kemuri-kun," the girl said. She averted her eyes from Kemuri and clasped her hands together in front of her. With a soft smile on his face, he gently placed his hand on her shoulder.

"It was nice having you here," he responded smoothly. Her cheeks flushed instantly. Kemuri pulled his hand away from her, and she awkwardly walked away.

He let out a small sigh, and the smile he wore disappeared as if it was never there. His hands found themselves back in his pockets.

His mind was crowded with thoughts about the younger twin. Ken's heart slightly hurt when he thought about the situation he was in. He knew he can't just avoid Kaoru forever, but he didn't know what to say to him. 

Wc 1213