005: Mellifluous

Mellifluous:

Adjective.
  (Of a voice or words) Sweet or musical; pleasant to hear.

The Neighborhood - "Say My Name/Cry me a River "

☁☂☁

Kemuri sat down on the sofa and pulled the black notebook out of his bag. He tossed it to Sozen who opened it to the most recent page used. The notebook was more like a binder. It was thin and flat, but there were rings that allowed the owner to remove and replace lined paper. "Write something new?" 

"Yeah, tell me what you think," Kem the literate genius answered. Kem stood up for a second and grabbed the guitar that was in its stand in the corner of the room. He began playing a few chords- the beginning of the song. Kem lifted his gaze and looked at the only other person in the house. 

"Who's idea was it for you to sing? Because whoever that person was, you should listen to them more often," he said. Kemuri let out a groaned and stopped strumming. 

"Haruhi was the one to say it first. I refused, so she texted Soseki," Kem explained. He continued strumming for another moment before stopping and setting the guitar down on the couch beside him. 

"You should change clothes since you just came from school. You know where my room is, right? I'm sure I have some of your clothes you've left here before," Sozen asked. He leaned back on the couch and held his phone in front of him. Kem nodded before standing up and going back towards the stairs by the front door. 

When Kem came back downstairs, he was fully dressed in what Kuma would wear in public. The black cloth mask was pushed down under his chin, but it was still hooked around his ears. Kem only really changed because since Reizo was coming, something would most likely be filmed and posted online.

Amaya and Reizo had just arrived and were sitting in the living room with Sozen. "Oh, Kem's back," Sozen spoke first. 

"Hey," Kem greeted. "It's nice to see you again, Amaya." The white-haired girl smiled and waved at him. A mint green wig had been placed over Kem's naturally light brown hair. 

"So, Kemie," Reizo spoke. "How's that academy going?" Kem shrugged and sat in an empty seat. 

"It's been fine," he answered. "The fans know Kuma quit online school, but they don't know which academy I go to. My classmates have ruled out the possibility of me being him because I'm a "commoner", so there's nothing to worry about." Kem grabbed the guitar again and held it in his lap.

The group of four teens continued talking for about an hour. Eventually, Reizo and Sozen began filming conversations and taking pictures, so Kem lifted his mask over his mouth and nose. Sozen pointed the camera of Kemuri's phone at him and began recording. 

Video: 

Kuma was adjusting the neck of the thin black turtleneck sweater he wore. The brown acoustic guitar still sat on his lap. "Do you wanna show them something, Kuma?" Sozen asked. Instead of answering, Kuma nodded and held up a finger. He adjusted the cloth coughing mask and a second later, he began strumming. 

"Say my name, say my name. If no one is around you, say, "baby, I love you" if you aren't running - Say my name, say my name. You actin kinda shady," Kuma sang softly and strummed the guitar gently. He abruptly stopped and began laughing at his friends.  

"Yeah! You go, Kuma!" Reizo cheered from behind the camera. Kuma shook his head and rolled his eyes playfully. "Who's that song about?" 

"Ha, no one," Kuma scoffed and shook his head again. 

~  

Kem set the guitar down and cracked his knuckles. He looked at the three with a grin underneath his mask. "Is that song actually about anyone, Kem?" Sozen asked. 

"No, it's not," Kem answered. "It was fun hanging out with you guys, but I need to get home soon. I have a lot of work to do." 

"Why's that?" Amaya asked, slightly upset. 

"Well, Soseki wants me to have some sort of concert in the future. I'm going to have to write more than one song for that to happen. Plus, I haven't started my homework yet," Kemuri explained. "I doubt the homework will take a long time, but I need to put more time into music." 

"Stop flexing your geniousness," Reizo groaned. Kem opened his mouth to say something back but decided against it. He changed back into the clothes he came in and shoved the cloth mask in the very bottom of his backpack. After running his fingers through his light brown hair a few times, he began saying his goodbyes to the three teenagers. 

Kemuri got home at about 4:30 in the afternoon. He assumed Haruhi was in her room, and his dad was still at work. Kem went to his room and immediately began working on homework and listening to music. 

A few minutes later, his little sister entered the room. She sat down on the side of his bed. Kem twisted the chair around to face her. "Hey, Haru," Kem greeted with a grin. "How was your club?" 

"It was okay," she sighed then rolled his eyes. "I saw the video you posted earlier. Turns out all the club members are fans of you." 

"Oh?" Kem raised an eyebrow and smirked. She rolled her eyes. Haruhi could tell that only increased Kem's already big ego. "That's interesting." 

"Ugh, Kem," Haruhi groaned. She shook her head to then suggested, "You should stop by tomorrow. They were asking me about you, and they won't leave me alone until I properly introduce you to them." 

"Yeah, no problem," Kem agreed almost instantly. "I can meet you at your classroom, and you can take me there." His sister nodded in response. She stood up and walked over to him. 

"What are you working on?" she asked. Her brown eyes scanned the sheets of paper in front of him. 

"Music," Kem answered shortly and motioned to the old guitar sitting in its case beside the desk. "Since you gave Soseki the idea of me performing in front of audiences, he decided it would be a good idea to have a sort of concert in the future ." 

"A concert? Just in Japan or... are you going to travel?" Haruhi furrowed her eyebrows as she spoke. She wanted her brother to sing and perform, but she didn't want him to have to leave for a few months. 

"Well," he paused to sigh. "It's undecided. There's going to be two or three here in Japan. If those are successful, I might go to different countries," he spoke gently. "Hey, if I do, I won't be gone for long, Haru."

"I hope it goes well, Kem. I want you to be successful," Haruhi responded.

"Thanks, Haru," Kem grinned. "Hey, I can get you tickets backstage passes. You can hang out with Amaya, Sozen, and Reizo if you don't know anyone else going." 

"That'd be great, Nii-san," Haruhi grinned. "I'm going to go back to doing homework." Kem nodded in response. He stood up and brought her into a short hug. After only a few seconds, then let go and flopped back down onto his desk chair. After his sister left the room, he turned back towards his desk and continued writing and rewriting the lyrics in his notebook.

Wc 1237