Chapter Twenty-Nine

Start from the beginning

However, Kesha had no such luck. The second she left the house, she spotted them both heading her way.

Ducking behind the nearest bush, she sat and waited for them to leave.

"So when is Kesha leaving?" Samantha asked Demi sadly.

Kesha cursed Demi silently for spilling her secrets. She had no right!

"She didn't say, but I'll ask her parents." Demi replied.

"Are you sure you want to go over there? Her parents...they're not exactly nice people..." Samantha warned nervously, knowing that they were Demi's family.

"I know... But they don't hurt her, do they hurt her?" Demi asked, fear etched on her face.

"I don't know, Demi. Maybe. Kesha doesn't like to open up," Samantha signed.

Kesha winced at the disappointed sound in her voice. She adored Samantha, she really did, she just couldn't open up to anyone.

"Did she open up to you? She never speaks about you," Samantha carried on.

"We were really close," Demi answered.

You could hear her voice cracking with emotion as she spoke. It was almost painful to listen to.

"I guess I was never there for her when she needed me," she sighed. "I wanted to be. I really tried!"

"Demi, Kesha won't let anyone be there when she needs someone. It's just who she is now," Samantha said. "She's not a little kid anymore."

Kesha stopped listening after that, determined not to let them get to her.

After all, they were just people.

"Nobody special," Kesha thought sourly.

Soon after that, she heard Samantha leave. Breathing a sigh of relief, Kesha waited for Demi to leave to.

But she didn't. Instead she walked up to Kesha's front door.

"Seriously, woman! Just leave already," Kesha grumbled inwardly. "I should be so lucky..."

"Hi, Aunt Meg." Demi said, forcing a fake lightness to her voice. "I've come to talk to you about Kesha."

"Her names Kesandra, Demetria! Get it right," Meg scowled. Then she turned back towards the door. "Sam! It's Demetria!"

"Tell her Kesandra's not here!" Sam snapped rudely from the living room.

Meg repeated what he said to Demi, sounding equally as rude.

"I know," Demi replied hotly. "I've come to discuss her, not talk to her!"

"Hold your tongue, Demetria. You're not too old for me to call your parents, you know." Meg taunted.

"My dad's dead, Aunt Meg. But you're welcome to try," Demi replied smoothly.

"Oh, we have a smartass on our hands?" Meg replied, silently daring Demi to speak again. "You want to try me?"

"No," Demi mumbled meekly.

Meg seemed to have the power to reduce strong, confident women into useless wrecks.

Demi was sadly no exception...

"I didn't know Eddie was dead," Meg said nosily.

"My dad's name is Patrick, not Eddie." Demi said, looking at the ground like a sulky teenager.

Meg didn't answer this time, simply enjoying watching Demi squirm.

"You might as well come in," she huffed eventually. Then she stalked off, leaving Demi to show herself in.

Kesha cured loudly once they had left. Now how was she supposed to hear them?

"Oh well," she muttered to herself. "At least I can get up now!"

As Kesha began walking to Costa Coffee, a song popped into her head. It seemed to fit her previous situation.

She wasn't really a fan of the artist who sang the song, but they, a song's a song!

Softly - too low for anybody to hear, obviously - Kesha began to sing, changing it slightly to suit her better.

"Now I'm lying on the cold, hard ground!" Kesha sang softly to herself. "Oh,
Oh,
Trouble,
Trouble,
Trouble,
Oh,
Oh,
Trouble,
Trouble,
Trouble.

No apologies,
You'll never see me cry,
Stop pretending you don't know,
That you're the reason why,
I'm drowning,
I'm drowning,
I'm drowning.

I knew you were trouble when you walked in,
So shame on me now,
Used to fly me to places I'd never been,
Till you put me down,
Oh,
I knew you were trouble when you walked in,
So shame on me now,
Flew me to places I'd never been,
Now I'm lying on the cold hard ground,
Oh,
Oh,
Trouble,
Trouble,
Trouble,
Oh,
Oh,
Trouble,
Trouble,
Trouble.

When you're saddest fear comes creeping in,
That you never loved me,
Yet you loved her,
And everyone,
And everything.

I knew you were trouble when you walked in,
So shame on me now,
Used to fly me to places I'd never been,
Till you put me down,
Oh,
I knew you were trouble when you walked in,
(You were right there, you were right there),
So shame on me now,
Flew me to places I'd never been,
Now I'm lying on the cold hard ground,
Oh,
Oh,
Trouble,
Trouble,
Trouble,
Oh,
Oh,
Trouble,
Trouble,
Trouble.

I knew you were trouble when you walked in,
Trouble,
Trouble,
Trouble,
I knew you were trouble when you walked in,
Trouble,
Trouble,
Trouble!" Kesha finished the song, fists clenched in anger.

Her face fell, sadness replacing the anger.

"But why did I have to be right, Demi?" She whispered, tears pricking her eyes.

Her life was never fair! She supposed it never had been.

"Hey, darling!" A voice called out, breaking Kesha out of her thoughts. "I'm just starting my shift. How about a nice hot chocolate for my favourite customer?"

Kesha looked up, forcing herself to grin at Monica.

"Yes please, Mon." She thanked. "It's been a rough day..."

"Oh believe me, I know!" Monica exclaimed, draping an arm around Kesha's shoulders.

Kesha winced at the contact, but let it go. Right now, it wasn't worth it.

"Samantha text me everything," Monica explained. "We'll talk later."

Again, Kesha let this go. She didn't want to talk later, but at that moment her thoughts were preoccupied.

There was only one thing on her mind.

How was Demi doing?