Ch. 19

Y/n looked like a madman. Screaming, crying, hair a mess, and being dragged, literally, through the streets. They stopped, and Connor let her go. She sat up, scooting away from them. The male android squatted beside her, hugging onto the female. She tried pushing him away, making him feel...hurt. Again.
     He pulled away, just enough to give her room and enough where he was still hiding onto her shaking form. "Just leave me be! I know you don't really care!" At this point, everybody looked in their direction, either confused or scared. Whispers lit up like wildfire, making Connor nervous.
     "Look, I-"
     "It's only for the mission, right Connor?!" she questioned, still trying to push away. The android sighed, looking to her brother. She was right, he cared for the mission. But...he also cared about her. Shane nodded, walking up to the people, shooing them away.
     "Y/n. I do care. It's just-"
     "The mission! You can't care, Connor! You aren't a deviant! You can't care! You can't!" He sighed, hugging her close.
     "I might not be deviant, but I still...I still..." he pushed away his programming, hugging her closer. "I love you, Y/n." She gave up, tired and sad. Did he really mean what he said? There was a chance...but...what if? No. He couldn't care. He is an android. But, she knew she'd have to "believe".
     "We should get her back to Ancil's. Maybe being with them will get her to feel better," Shane suggested, making her cringe inwardly. Why would they care if she returned? She wasn't special. She just did what any normal, grey person did. Live. Exist.
     Of course, she helped people by being an officer, but they obviously have android for that, too now. Just look at Connor. He has the job as a police android thing and he's able to beat her when it comes to investigating, interrogating, and much more.
     She weakly stood up, quickly being picked up by the mentioned android. She blushed, then quickly hid her face with her hands. He smiled down at her, then began walking, Shane in tow. Connor enjoyed feeling her warmth, but the fact that her temperature increased startled him, making him concerned for her wellbeing.
     "Y/n, your temperature has increased significantly. Are you sick?" She looked him in the eyes, her face growing redder.
     "I...I...um...uh...I just....you see...I-" she stumbled around her words, making him smile softly. Knowing this moment, it was just her being a small bundle of shy joy.
     "She loves you too, Connor," Shane grumbled out, kicking a stone. The andorid's LED flashed yellow, then turned blue. Shane was hostile towards him, which perplexed the android. He looked forward, running through his choices.
     "I have a personal question, Shane." The male shot his head to the android, surprised and angered.
     "Yeah? What is it?" he huffed out, looking back to the sidewalk. Connor hesitated, stopping. Y/n glanced up to him, her e/c orbs shining with confusion to why they had stopped.
     "Why are you hostile towards me?" He chose a different question, hoping it'd get somewhere near the thought of all androids. He looked to Shane, seeing as he had stopped some ways before them.
     "I think you should know, tin can." He started walking off again, before glancing back. "And if you hurt my sister, I'll destroy you. Even if you do come back, I'll keep stopping your mission until they send a replacement and you are to rot in some garbage dump." He started off again, leaving the two behind.
     "He doesn't like androids...because dad died." Connor glanced down to Y/n quickly, scanning over her face.
     "He was doing okay when near me before."
     "He doesn't want me here because of androids. He doesn't want me to die like dad did..." she trailed off, remembering the past. Her father falling to the ground and the scared look in the android's eyes. She was shocked, and afraid of Detroit at this point. After a while, she was sweeped off the ground and all she was was the moving ground.
     She looked back at Connor, her eyes scanning his face. "That android didn't mean harm. He killed dad because he was scared. He took me away, soon being stopped by the police. If it weren't for them, I'd be raised by him."
     "Is that bad? Being raised by an android, I mean," he questioned, looking around. She looked to the ground, moving to get comfortable.
     "No. Maybe not. But, I wouldn't have become a cop. I wouldn't have seen Ancil nor Delaney. I'd probably be all alone," she shrugged, looking back up to him with a sadness lingering in her orbs.
     "Wouldn't that make you happier?" He glanced back down to her, his LED flashing yellow. He was curious, just like a little child. She smiled, happy to see him question her with curiosity. But...why? Her smile faltered, and she looked to the sky.
     "I know I'm not a people person, but to be afraid of people for all my life?"
     "Isn't that how it is now?" She started to reply to him, then stopped. Would it be different.
     "Maybe I would be happier? I don't know," she sighed, feeling him tense up. She cocked a brow, looking at him. "What's wrong, Connor?"
     "Uh...nothing. Nothing at all." He kept looking forward, not even a simple glance. Her hopes lowered, and she struggled faintly. Connor snapped his attention to her, gently putting her down. She began to start walking, leaving him behind.
     He shook his head, following quickly after. He grabbed her hand, making her look at it. Her face flushed red and she looked away, trying to wipe away the blush. He smiled down at her, smiling to himself. She had brought something out of him, something good. But, how would he explain it to Amanda?