Ch. 11

Leitrim. Delaney was special, that's for sure. That place was peaceful. Only close to 30,000 people lived there. The mountains. Y/n sat out on the porch, listening to the puppies run around and play. She smiled, feeling it falter. Why?
     She placed the smile back on, truly meaning it. It was peaceful. The herbal tea calmed her, too. Ancil and Delaney were out, finding some place to for her to play around at. She was still a kid compared to them. Plus, she was a kid at heart. Always wanting to play around.
     Her e/c orbs scanned the area, noticing something appear out of the distance. She stood up, squinting her eyes. Of course, the neighbor. He was sweet. And...cute. She blushed at that thought, looking away. He stopped, tying his horse up.
     Yes, Texas boy. Mix of his father and his Irish mother. His green orbs scanned her up and down, and his smile stayed the same. "And why are you in that sweater? Come on, it can't be that cold."
     "Says the cowboy that wears flannel," she retorted, rolling her eyes playfully. He chuckled, sitting by her.
     "So, where'd the cute couple run off to?" Big supporter of gays. Surprised her that he wasn't gay himself.
     "They wanted to find something fun for me. I was getting a little bored."
     "Why didn't they call me? We could ride the horses around for a while. Then, we can visit my grandmother. That old hag needs new company." She laughed, taking a sip of her tea. The pups danced around, playfully yapping. No wonder.
     They say was...filled with happiness. This was a nice idea. She'd have to thank Ancil for the thousandth tim for thinking of a vacation. "Anyways, I was just told to check up on ya. I'll have to catch you later, gator." He pointed a finger gun at her, winking. She blushed, waving.
     "Bye, Nico." Once he was gone, she looked to her watch. Hank had sent her message.
     'Sumo's angry at you, kid.' She laughed at the message, scrolling to see the picture. There sat the big, yet smol, bean.
     'Tell him I'm sorry :( I'll get him some food before we return :)' She smiled to herself, leaning back into the chair.

     "Y/n!" The female jumped, screaming. She shakily looked up, seeing Nico smile sympathetically. She stood up, tilting her head to the side.
     "What is it?" Her voice came out shaky, making him chuckle.
     "I was bored." He sat on the chair across from her, making her huff.
     "I thought somebody died, Nico." He shook his head, looking off to the side.
     "The pups fell asleep..." She smiled, looking the way the neighbor looked. She looked down to her watch, raising a brow.
     "Hold on. I'll be right back out. I just...need to make a call."
     "Alright!" Nico called after her, taking her cup and taking a sip of the tea.
     "Hello?" Who called? Why?
     "Y/n?" Connor? How did he? "Y/n! Wait, before you hang up. I need to ask you something."
     Did Hank..."W-what?!"
     "What happened to Sumo? He seems...sad." She looked out the back door, seeing Nico cough up the tea.
     "Hey! Not on the porch, you dumb cowboy!"
     "I apologize for being disgusted!"
     "Why did you drink my herbal tea then?!"
     "Y/n?" Connor asked, sounding as if he was moving stuff around.
     "Oh! Y-yeah...I left in a rush...I didn't say by to the bean."
     "Bean?" She giggled, nodding to herself. Software instability. Before she could describe what she meant, Nico threw open the door and grabbed the trashcan.
     "Nico! Throw up in the toilet!"
     "It's a big house! I've never been in here! I have to throw up now!"
     "Y/n..."
     "Oh. Bean means something or someone cute. Sumo's a cutie, so I call him bean!"
     "Who's home with you?" Straight to the point...
     "Nico...he's our neighbor for the time being..."
     "What do you think of him?" She glanced up to the Irish cowboy, looking away and moving to another room.
     "He's...cute..." Silence. "Connor?"
     "And me?" Her face darkened, and she couldn't find the right words.
     "Y-you're...cute....b-but! Y-you...I-I..."
     "How much do you like him?" Tears pricked at her eyes. He sounded mad. "Y/n?" A small sob escaped her mouth, making him worry.
     "I...C-Connor...I..." She quickly hung up, taking the watch off. She threw it against the wall, locking the door. She slowly sat against the wall, hearing three people chatter.
     "Y/n! Come down, lass! Don't we have a surprise for ye!" She tangled her fingers into her hair, slamming the her head multiple times with her hand. Like punching herself, except with the lower palm.
     "Y/n? Nico, mon ami, have you seen where she went?" She squeezed her eyes shut, crying. She saw the scenes unfold before her. Her father, that deviant, Steph's last photograph. Shane's disappointed face before he called about mom. And...her mother's loving smile. The only thing she remembered of her birth giver.
     There was a loud bang against the door, followed by a few more. "It's locked, Ancil!"
     "Y/n..." She quickly looked up, moving to the door. She looked through the keyhole, seeing a little of Connor's jacket. Why was he here? When? "Look, I'm sorry if me being...curious scared you. But, I just wanted to know. Ancil even asked." She sniffled, placing her hand on the doorknob.
     "S-sorry?" She quickly withdrew her hand, looking for the nearest object to kill Connor with. "Y-you...y-you aren't deviant! You can't feel sorry!" Software instability.
     "Y/n! Look...I...ever since I met you, I...was intrigued. Now I know why. My programming...me...you. I like you, Y/n." She stopped, looking at the door.
     "Y-you...what?" she whispered, curiosity lacing her frail voice.
     "I...please come out." That time...I had his coat on...he held me longer than normal. He looked away when we walked in the snow. His shirt.
     "That day I was interrogating that deviant...I was wearing your coat. I ran into you and your..." She blushed, quickly looking away. "Your tie was loose and your shirt? Why?"
     "I wanted to see how you'd react, Officer Y/n. You didn't disappoint when you looked away. I went against my programming many times. Because...you. But, I am sti not that deviant."
     She opened the door, looking up to him. She blushed when they locked eyes, and he hugged her. "I'm sorry for scaring you." She hugged back, letting the tears fall from her eyes.