Ch. 17

Y/n had dragged Shane back home, following Connor. She still held that smile on her face. She was extremely happy her last family member joined her at last. Though, it might not last a long time. "We're almost home! I can't wait to show you to the DPD! Gavin wouldn't be pleased!" She laughed, rushing up ahead. She stopped, turning around. "Let's have race!"
     Shane glanced to Connor, smirking. "With an android? You're joking, sis." She squealed, running up and shaking Shane.
     "Race!" He chuckled, shaking his head.
     "Fine. Ready. Set-"
     "Go!" She shouted, dashing off. She leaped over a trashcan, then pushed past a person. Shane was on the road, catching rides from taxis. Connor did a mixture of both. She glanced over at the two males, smiling. They rode on taxis, and she decided it'd be best for her to catch a ride, too. She jumped onto the bust stop, hoping off and getting on a bus.
     She jumped from taxi to taxi, even buses were easy for here. "She's been practicing, android! There's a good woman!" Shane laughed, hopping from taxi to taxi, also. His sibling made it first, Connor came in second, and Shane made it a millisecond after Connor. "Holy shit, Y/n."
     She pumped her fist up, smiling. "I win!" Not even a drop of sweat raced down her forehead. She wasn't out of breath either. His sister grew up to be an amazing cop. Shane messed up her hair, moving to the building. She stayed with Connor, smiling while watching him leave.
     "Shane," she whispered, her voice cracking. Her smile faltered, and a tear fell. She knew he didn't want her to be a cop. But, she promised to never turn her brother in. Her only family member. She coughed, moving forward.
     "Y/n?" She jumped, screaming. She looked at him with wide eyes, but they slowly closed.
     "Connor. I thought you had already went in." she mumbled, scratching the back of her neck. He moved to her, then gave her a hug. She hugged back, tears falling out of her eyes. "Was Shane happy, Connor? Did you scan him?" She looked up at him, still hugging him.
     "He was happy..." she smiled, hugging him tighter. She had buried her face in his chest once more, then pulled away.
     "Let's go join the other three!" She grabbed his hand, rushing into the building. The lights were off, so she stopped in fear of what might be hidden. She squeezed Connor's hand, her heart racing. "G-guys?!" She dragged Connor around with her, peeking around a corner.
     "Surprise!" Shane shouted, grabbing her shoulders. She screamed, jumping back against Connor. Again, she screamed. Once she had stopped, she placed a hand on her chest, tears spilling. "Y/n! Hey, it's alright! Just a surprise birthday, okay?" She nodded, huggging her brother.
     She's too innocent. Scared. Maybe with the deviants...no. She was with Connor. She wants to protect. Not harm. She smiled, pulling away from Shane. She wiped away her tears, then turned to Connor with a smile. "Did Shane send you here when I showed him the store?" Connor nodded, fixing his tie.
     She smiled wider, hugging Connor then hugging Shane again. Delaney and Ancil were in the kitchen, waiting. In front of them sat a large, f/c cake. About five layers. She rushed to them, giving them a hug. Sympathy smiles. And she knew. "What's wrong?" They glanced to each other and Ancil sighed.
     "Sorry, kid. We didn't know Shane was going to scare you like that." She smiled, hugging him once more.
     "Don't worry! He's always like that!" But they held back the real truth. Shane wanted to take her to his home. Either that, or he'd never see her again. He didn't want to see her in this place. He hated androids. Shane left the, heading upstairs to his sisters room.
     When the other four sat and talked, Shane decided to scan through her room. He stopped, landing on the herbal tea packs and the picture of their family. He picked the photo up, running his finger over his mother and father's faces. He didn't cry. He didn't want to.
     He told them not to move to Detroit. But, after Stephanie's death, all Daniel wanted was for Y/n to be happy. Shane had joined the gang at the time, trying to earn some more cash. He wanted them to stay. Daniel and Tazanna had a fight, so he took Y/n and left without her. Tazanna was heartbroken. Her only daughter alive gone. Her son missing most of the time.
     Stress got to her. She had problems understanding why the two left. Why Shane was missing. The grief and stress attacked her, destroying her heart. Last thing that female thought was if they made it to Detroit safely. Was that the deviants didn't touch them. For Shane to be safe. Then, she passed. Home. Alone.
     Shane set the photograph down, then noticed another. He had to opene the door further, looking at it with disgust. It was Stephanie. Makeup, short outfit, and her toy by her side. Y/n stood there too, smiling widely. Stephanie almost turned her, but he saved the angel. He closed the drawer, scanning the room once more.
     Y/n rushed upstairs, smiling at her sibling. "Hey! Want some cake?" He turned back, sitting on her bed. "Shane?"
     "Y/n, I'm taking you home." He looked her in the eyes, seeing the confused glint. "I don't want you here. There are too many dangers."
     "No! I'm not leaving! I can't leave! We're onto something in this investigation! I just-"
     "Don't fight it! If you don't leave with me, I'm not visiting you anymore! I can't see you hurting!" She raised her chin up, then moved to the window.
     "Then don't see me," she whispered, jumping out and running away. He looked out, then rushed downstairs.
     "She ran!" Connor's LED flashed red, and he followed Shane out. What had happened when they were by themselves?